HybridZ

Yesterday,...and Today

jasper

I started working on cars/helping my Dad, about 1971. Years later, my first car was a 1968 Dodge Super Bee. About 1979 I bought my first 1974 Datsun 260Z.

Today, I work on 2010 new cars.

I find it amazing/difficult, to watch beginners try to learn to work on datsuns, and try to meld the old and the new.

NEITHER IS EASY!!! There are 2 different ways of making a car run. Reading is fundimental.

I'm kind of lucky to have grown up/straddled the technological transition of the automobile. ONLY GUYS OF MY AGE GROUP have seen/learned this.

The information you provide, is essential in helping you make your DATSUN run well. Collect your thoughts, and present your questions in a chronological, and inteliigent fashion. Your thoughts should make sense to others who have no knowledge of your car/repair history.

• Administrators
I started working on cars/helping my Dad, about 1971. Years later, my first car was a 1968 Dodge Super Bee. About 1979 I bought my first 1974 Datsun 260Z.

Today, I work on 2010 new cars.

I find it amazing/difficult, to watch beginners try to learn to work on datsuns, and try to meld the old and the new.

NEITHER IS EASY!!! There are 2 different ways of making a car run. Reading is fundimental.

I'm kind of lucky to have grown up/straddled the technological transition of the automobile. ONLY GUYS OF MY AGE GROUP have seen/learned this.

The information you provide, is essential in helping you make your DATSUN run well. Collect your thoughts, and present your questions in a chronological, and inteliigent fashion. Your thoughts should make sense to others who have no knowledge of your car/repair history.

Preach it brother! :2thumbs:

Sometimes I wish I was in your position (I'm the young guy you're talking about), wishing I had an idea of where all this technology I'm working with came from. But I'm also excited about all the technology I get to see transitioning in my lifetime. Hovercrafts? Jetpacks? 300 hp Prius? One day my time will come where I get to be in your seat and teach some young guys about how the old internal combustion engine worked and how much of a pain it was to work on.

Im a young guy (21) but I love my old L

something about an engine being 90% covered in plastic and using a code reader more than a wrench just dosent seem right.

I dont need a computer to tell me that my tire pressure is low

I started wrenching on Mercedes with my Dad in his shop when I was 13, now I'm almost 30 and an aircraft mechanic. One thing I have learned as a "middle of the road" guy is shut up and listen. There are still allot of the older guys like my Dad out there and there experience is invaluable. When he starts to talk cars, I respect what he has to say and shut up. What's the old saying, knowledge speaks, wisdom listens?

One thing I have learned as a "middle of the road" guy is shut up and listen. There are still allot of the older guys like my Dad out there and there experience is invaluable. When he starts to talk cars, I respect what he has to say and shut up. What's the old saying, knowledge speaks, wisdom listens?

agreed :2thumbs:

Iv been lucky enough to be able to pick the brains of guys like BRAAP and RTz :mrgreen:

As a pretty young guy here, I feel I have had the luck of having one of the best fathers possible to get into cars with. As a man that's slowly settling into his age (not by desire, I promise), he's probably forgotten more in a year than I'll learn in a lifetime. He raced semi-professionally for a good thirty years between the 60's and early 90's and I've learned to listen to what he say. He raced everything from auto-x to running a corvette clipping BBC times in his SBC vette at Sebring 12hrs. To this day I've yet to see a man that could set up a street car to handle like he could. We as a family were never super well off, so he always came up with unique ways to do it right with what we had. It's always fun to see new kids come to auto-x with an additute and a big turbo car just to get their clock cleaned by our little 75hp mini with a short little man behind the wheel. But he's been there to witness the radical transformations of many companies: The complete domination of Porche with their 917's and 962's, worked with racing beat for their turbo miata's and FC Rex's when we still lived down south. He always taught me the meaning of enough, that at the end of the day a club racer on a budget and a lot of dedication and skill can run right with, and beat, the big budget teams.

Today, he's getting too far along to spend the energy to stay up with modern technology so when it comes to EFI or FI he'll let me throw some ideas around, but when it comes to making a car handle and just flat work, it's time for me to shut up and listen. If I can do half of what he's done by that age I'll be happy with myself.

As it is, it is a great asset to the HBZ community to see the more experienced gentlemen like Paul, Ron, Tony, and countless others to give up years of experience and advice to the younger generations. It's you guys that have given me a lot of direction not only in Datsun's but carving a path out for us to follow in, and God willing, eventually make a way for ourselves.

In my case, I just turned 20, and my mother tells me that if I work real hard, I might turn 5 next year ;)

man this just makes me feel old....ok so im 20...but ive had cars in my life since i was 12 by the time i was 14 i could rebuild 2 stoke motors without help...i started with with older cars first car being a 68 2dr nova..second being 82 280zx...and ive had 40+ cars and ive worked on everyone of them my self(except for thing that i couldnt do with the tools i had...such as an alignment)...but ive watched pletty of my friends go through nadc(nashville auto desiel college) i dont think that a day goes by that i dont have a wrench in my hand working on someones car...but everyday ive worked on a car whether it be from experience, watching someone do something, or listening to someone rant about cars ive always learned something new...anyways

no one on this forum can read mind and for all we know you could be working on a studabaker so being specific really really helps....thats one of the things that bothers me the most(other than people asking questions that have been anwsers a million and a half times)

• 2 weeks later...

I also am one of the young guns. When it comes to cars I just listen. I do not know that much about how the mechanical aspect of cars work. I understand the concept of the engine, but do not understand how it all comes together to make the car go.

One of the reasons I love my both my Zs is that it is a car I feel like I can work on them. It does not require me to have computer tools to tell me why my car will not start. It does not require me to have a load of specialty tools to I can work on it. It is an old school type of car. If you have a 200 peace tool set from Auto Zone, and the bravery to start taking things apart, You can start working on your Z.

What I love about this is I leaterly learn something new about working on cars everyday (yes I do work on my car everyday, that can just be making sure all my bolts are on and are to proper torque.

I have been on this form for about a year, and only have 3 post (including this one). If I have a question this is the first place I go. I look it up in the search and am on my way.

I wish car makes would make cars, cars again, instead of gas powered computers.

Did not mean to beat a dead cow,:beatdeadh

but I can say I love my 280Zs because they are cars. Quick, fun, little cars; and that is why I will try to always have a s30. Because, new cars just do not bring to the table what an older Z does.

Just my little rant/story.

BigRed.

Word of the wise for young guns, like myself

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato

I think everyone finds an escape to past time. My Dad never was into car building (more car repairing, so I learned business and not old school car building). I personally built and tuned turbo cars (yeah with all the computer whiz bangery). I really like building a big power car with a highly advanced computer (Wolf, AEM, MoTeC, etc.), but I get the old school enjoyment from building and carving black powder longrifles. OTOH, even with a modern car and an advanced standalone, I still rip all the other hand holding garbage out.

Guest eric_503

I count tuesday nights as my learning period. My grandfather has ended up with my uncles camaro for the summer so he brings it over every tuesday and we take it to the car show.

Spend 3 hours there just talking to people,The man knows everyone.And we'll usually go by tim hortons and sit in there for another hour or so....the car show always migrates there when its done haha.

Always meeting new people,and now gradually they start to know me. Theres alot to learn,was lucky that hes done alot to. He owned a garage/gas station that did just about everything,from high performance parts to the bronco he used to snow plow with. Still alot of parts kick around for the camaro's as well.

Its been great with the 240z because he's into it as well,and while he says put the fiber glass skins on it and do it properly it wont have a problem,I have to hear about complaining from everyone else to go with metal quarters,and how they can weld them on,and how magicly Im going to spend $200 for them. That and he said put the whale tail on as well haha. Its nice to have some input on how I would want to drive it,instead of whats worth the most money because it looks factory,why would I keep it stock and never drive it and sell it,if I could have something I like and drive.

I think everyone finds an escape to past time. My Dad never was into car building (more car repairing, so I learned business and not old school car building). I personally built and tuned turbo cars (yeah with all the computer whiz bangery). I really like building a big power car with a highly advanced computer (Wolf, AEM, MoTeC, etc.), but I get the old school enjoyment from building and carving black powder longrifles. OTOH, even with a modern car and an advanced standalone, I still rip all the other hand holding garbage out.

You missed the point. Yes those are computing units, no that is not what I was talking about. Think 2008 BMW M5. It is a bad thing when someone buys a car, then comes to a networking center to have someone program their car so it will not have to be manually configured every time you start it. That is what I mean.

You missed the point. Yes those are computing units, no that is not what I was talking about. Think 2008 BMW M5. It is a bad thing when someone buys a car, then comes to a networking center to have someone program their car so it will not have to be manually configured every time you start it. That is what I mean.

You are assuming my post was a response to yours...

You are assuming my post was a response to yours...

Well if it was not then....

Why did you make a point of stating

car repairing, so I learned business and not old school car building

and just so we know it is not to be miss interpreted that you just used the word "Old School car Building", as I stated in the post before

You also stated

yeah with all the computer whiz bangery

And more on the computers in cars with the statement.

I really like building a big power car with a highly advanced computer (Wolf, AEM, MoTeC, etc.)

So if you were not responding to my post then you were making points no one else brought up, therefor you must of been posting in the wrong form talking about Old School Car Building and Advanced Computers, and about computer whiz bangery.

The likely hood of all that falling in place would be astonishing and also vary sad, based off the fact that you can not remember what you are saying and where you are saying it. :shock:

I hope that is not the case, and I hope you just wanted to look like you understood my point.

Take care,

BigRedZ