HybridZ

Supercharged Supra Engine (2JZ-GZTE)

cribbj

I know the membership on HybridZ is all about doing interesting modifications to your Z's, and although I'm a Supra guy, nearly every time I visit here, I gain something useful.

So, I wanted to share a project I've just started, which may also be interesting for your Z motors. It's supercharging the Supra's inline six, and eventually twincharging it, if the supercharger concept works out.

We all know an inline six configuration isn't the cleanest model to start with for a Roots type install, as the supercharger needs to be very long to hit six intake ports, else a pretty crazy intake manifold must be built, which then makes it nearly impossible to fit the whole thing in a car. A centrifugal supercharger could be used, but they have power curves similar to turbo's, and both the Supra and Z engine already have well developed turbo solutions.

So instead of using a single Roots supercharger, I decided to try to fit 3 little ones (the Aisin AMR500) and mount them as close to the head as possible.

Here's a link to the project, which I'm calling "The 2JZ-GZTE Project": http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12373

(apologies in advance if I've violated any site rules by linking to another website, however I don't see the Lextreme site as competition to this one - rather they seem to complement each other.)

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the 2JZ for various reasons... but I'll be the first to concede that this is cool. Even though it wont fit in a Supra, the throttle response of that thing on ITB's should be almost like a rotary with a pretty impressive torque curve to boot. I'm watching.

Thanks for the interest guys. Yes the belt drives are going to be a challenge, and frankly everything about the project will be a challenge, but that's why it'll be interesting.

I can appreciate that not everyone is a 2JZ fan - it's yesterday's superstar, and it's had its day in the spotlight. It's still a very formidable motor, however, even if it is showing its age a bit. Although I've owned Supras continuously since 1989, I had drifted away from modified 2JZ's around 4-5 years ago and have been playing with supercharged Lexus V8's, but I always wanted to try to do something to sort out the 2JZ's lack of low end grunt. Maybe this will be the answer.

Well it's not that I do not appreciate the motor, I just feel that like some other Japanese motors, they're blown out of proportion on how great they are. They don't really do something that a similar 3.0 DOHC straight six cant do. They heads aren't that spectacular as far as flow and it's a heavy motor. Just that a bunch of big name tuning companies have thrown a bunch of money at it, and like anything you throw enough money at, they made big money horsepower. Woo hoo... Don't get me wrong, it, like many Japanese engines, is very sturdy and has a gorgeous sound at RPM, I just don't think it's quite the God of a motor everyone thinks it is.

Now the UZ, especially with the better flowing VVTi heads... What an engine! I love those things. They may not have the following that the little brother JZ's do but the balance and ability for that motor to spin 9k without flinching.

But alas, I'm really interested in this, just to see how drivability is affected by this setup. Hopefully a set-up like this would do something that a big turbo high RPM JZ cant do... Get some torque UNDER the curve.