HybridZ

Wanted: opinions on 510 engine swap

GrayZee

Ok, here's the story. A friend of mine has a 510 and he wants to put a six cylinder Nissan engine in there. Ok, so it's been done you can even buy a kit to put a VG30 in there. The problem is that he has got his heart set on using a L24 engine. I've been trying to talk him out of it telling him that he'd have to do alot of cutting up of the car to make it fit. He dosn't think so, in fact, he wants to relocate the radiator and push the engine FORWARD instead of back! I tried to tell him the would be a BAD idea but he won't listen. I tried to get him to go with the VG30, it has more power, lighter, and is a whole heck of alot SMALLER! He hasn't bought a engine yet and I'm sure around here you can pick up a rusty old 300zx that runs good for a few hundred bucks! I know, it's his car and he can do what he wants, but do you guys agree that this is the wrong approach?

Yup, that's not such a hot idea IMO either. With a VG in them they're quite nose heavy and handling suffers. The only L6 ones I've seen were quite modified for reasonable balance. If it's for straight lining mainly and he's not so concerned about weight distribution then it's alright if he never gets carried away in a higher speed curve.

If your friend wants to go to alot of trouble and be somewhat unique then he should go with the

L-24, however I would not recommend it. This comes from experience as I have had an L-28 Turbo in my 510 wagon and now have a 91 Supra Turbo engine in the same car. If you want any kind of decent weight distribution you will HAVE to cut the firewall back to make room for the engine. You can use L-series engine motor mounts and modify the location of the trans mount and the engine "bolts in." However this is the least of your problems. Be prepared for alot of welding cutting and hacking to get the motor in.

I cannot remember for sure but I do not think that this motor will fit without the firewall moving back because the crank pulley will hit the lower front core support, then you get to cut out the upper core support to fit the radiator.

This swap is certainly unique. See pix of SSS510's vehicle on this site for a cool l-28 turbo nitrous set up--note his firewall is moved back. I don't know if he has working wipers--I do not due to interference. This is the least of the problems and I would not go to all the trouble for an L-24 which is not that big of a power increase IMHO.

The VG30 swap has a kit, the engine is light for a V6 and you only have to perform a very mild firewall massage to fit the manifold. It is a much easier swap, and you get newer technology.

It is difficult (impossible?) to fit a turbo VG30 in the 510 due to the turbo interfering with the frame rails without alot of modifications. Micheal Spreadbury's former 510 does have a turbo VG30 but also has no struts, a custom exhaust and a custom front subframe.

Unless he has his hear set on a six cylinder he might consider an sr20 or sr20det.

Anthony

'71 510--91 Supra Turbo 7m-gte engine

Originally posted by Supra510:

See pix of SSS510's vehicle on this site for a cool l-28 turbo nitrous set up--note his firewall is moved back. I don't know if he has working wipers--I do not due to interference.

could you tell me where to find these pics? I did a search but no luck.. :confused:

Originally posted by ZROSSA:

I keep seeing the weight of the 215 buick/rover v8 and would really like to use one of these in a small car. Weight would be close to the vg.

Douglas,

There was a place called FAR performance in Mtn. View, CA that I used to frequent in the '80's when I had a 510. In this place there were pictures of all the cool Datsuns from all over--the one that struck me the most was a 510 with a Buick 215 ci motor/Rover V8. It was like the engine and car were made for each other--it fit oh so snuggly.

Davy

Ok, I showed my friend your replies and I think I talked him into the VG30 but after seeing SSS510's car I think I changed MY mind!! :eek:

Damn, that's a smokin car!! :D I would loved to have seen the look on the guy's face in the mustang!

B.T.W. can anyone tell me where to find the kit for the VG30 swap? I know I've seen it on the net before but I can't seem to find that now either. bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

my pics http://photos.yahoo.com/sss510six . my opinon is that a vg 30 conversion would be much easier in a 510 .(there is hours and hours of fabricating in my car) my firewall is moved back around a foot and my winshield wipers are a bottle of rain-x .your friends engine conversion all depends on how fast he wants to go, i have seen some very wicked rotary 510`s.i just sold a 71 4 door with an L-26 with an N-42 head for very cheap i was considering doing a low buck NOS kit with this car converting it over to a 4 bbl and using a carb plate.i don`t know what the current owner has done with the car . but, if you want e- mail me and i will give his e-mail address to you.

Thanks for the info on the VG30 site. Actually the one I saw before was a different one, but man that site has got some great info and pics of everything! I'll definatly get my buddy over here to check it out (he's still in the dark ages and dosn't have a computer) malebitchslap.gif

Thanks alot guys! 2thumbs.gif