HybridZ

Upgrading L24??

Is it possible to have power and reliability because im a sophmore in high school and im going to be driving it everywhere

that again falls under goals, what are your build specs and what are your goals?

with out that we dont really have any info at all.

and we cant really help with no info

Ok i want to make 300 to 350hp and be able to drive it everyday without having to think about it breaking down its a stock L24 motor with a cartech turbo kit and tripple webers on it

Replace that :P

Seriously though, if you want reliable and power, go EFI. And turbo + stock NA block doesn't seem like the best idea to me....

...turbo + stock NA block doesn't seem like the best idea to me...

Should be fine.

All stock block+head combos are within the reasonable realm of turbocharging with their stout lower ends and cpr. If adaquate fuel is maintained, and the IAT's are kept low, even the least ideal of the n/a combos should't have issues holding 12psi of boost if everything is in good condition.

Some stock n/a block and head combos are good for 17+ psi while staying reliable.

It's all in the tuning to keep detonation at bay ;)

Guest Rolling Parts
Ok i want to make 300 to 350hp and be able to drive it everyday without having to think about it breaking down its a stock L24 motor with a cartech turbo kit and tripple webers on it

350HP from 146 cubic inches (or almost 60HP from each cylinder?

The FIRST thing I would do is upgrade the ignition system.

The SECOND thing I would do is get a wide band O2 sensor and gauge.

Unless you get a precise handle on the ignition and the fuel delivery then all bets are off for making power or keeping the thing together. Most turbo projects start with a fully programmable fuel/spark controller as one of the first steps, not something to put off and hope that everything works out...

Guest Rolling Parts

http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/

Not worth the effort IMHO to move from an E88 to N42 (on a turbo L24).

What probably matters more on a turbo is getting a camshaft that's more compatible with a turbo application. If you want a turbo camshaft then you might as well just go ahead and find a P90 turbo head that with the turbo camshaft.

Why did you pull the low mileage L28 block out of your car? 400cc's gain is the equivalent of adding a whole EXTRA cylinder to that L24 (and zero weight penalty). Just curious if you wanted power as to why the first thing you did was remove cubic inches...

Replace that :P

Seriously though, if you want reliable and power, go EFI. And turbo + stock NA block doesn't seem like the best idea to me....

Turbos and carbs work sometimes, but if you are looking for power + reliability PanzerAce hit it on the head, Fuel injection will do more for you and your setup than you can even imagine. If you are still use the l24/e31 or e88 combo, a good headgasket will go a long way too and depending on the thickness, may lower compression which can make it a little less prone to detonantion.

My ideas on power + reliability

f54 block/p90 head (there is no replacement for displacement right guys??)

Megasquirt, the OEM 280zx FI technology is now almost 30 years old on the newest model, megasquirt gives you the tuning ability at an extremely affordable price. Get a pallnet fuel rail and some 440cc turbo supra injectors from a 7mgte to be able to put more fuel in without reaching maximum duty cycle on your OEM injectors (unless you just plan on running low boost for a while)

Intercooler- Lowers IAT (intake air temperature if I am remembering right)

But a lot of your question can be answered with this:

What are your goals and what is your budget?

By the way, I am head over heels in Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. I thought I understood turbochargers until I opened it and was amazed at how much there really is to turbocharging a car.

A daily driven Z with a reliable 300HP?

- research, learn about your motor and your car

- An L24 carb turbo set up is really cool, but technology has come a long way since the 70's. Its going to be a lot easier with an L28et with a nice tunable ECU.

- Know how to tune it correctly (back to #1)

- The usual mods, 3in exhaust, FMIC, ect

I took the L28 out because my L24 is turbo and has the triple webers and my dad didnt feel like helping me change everything over also to tune my car what would be a good wideband for it and my budget is unknown when ever i get money most of it is going in the car so i depends on how many oil changes and stuff i do and my goals are to have at least a reliable 300hp DD that eventually is gonna end up being my drag car

Oh and a L28et is out of the question because of the fact its hard to find one here in florida so i will just stick with my motor until i get a decent amount of cash then ill decide what motor i want in the car

I would like to see some pics...

300hp in a s30 is high 11's low 12's....have you upgraded any thing else on the car, brakes, shocks..etc?

I agree if you could find a way to be Fuel injected with a tunable ECU that would be the ticket..