HybridZ

My first polishing efforts.

dhp123166

I got nothing but time right now.

Thats where I'm at. My Z has been in storage since Sept of '08(when I lost the house), but when I did have a house and a garage I was polishing everything you could think of. I even polished the windshield wiper arms to a mirror finish!

Yeah it was easy to understand how that could become an obsession...

Obsession? No, it was just time spent waiting for the next payday that could buy some more parts to get my now(at the time) only z back on the road. Unfortunately, the paydays went away and I still needed the parts!

So, what was the technique? buffing wheel on a bench grinder, with a buffing compound? If so, what kind of compound did you use? Am anticipating doing some chrome polishing, and my valve cover, and lookiing for the most efficient method, as it could be a LOT of work otherwise. Thanks!

I started with some sandpaper I had maybe 100 grit. Way too abrasive. Finished with 220 grit. They even make a 320 or maybe even some wetsanding paper. I finished with a hard grade buffing wheel on my angle grinder with some buffing compound which was green for high gloss materials.

In between buffings I treated the aluminum with oven cleaner.

It's real easy once you find your method.

The biggest thing to get over when you first start polishing is dealing with going at the right speed and not using too much polishing compound. You want to move slow enough to be effective, but not so slow you build up alot of heat in what you're polishing. Using polishing compounds are correct, but getting too much just causes black smears and takes you twice as long.