HybridZ

Distributor question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

lets see, I bought a distributor from a 280z yesterday, to put in my 280zx so that the module is remotely mounted (going to a GM module)

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned EVERYTHING! Not to a beautiful shine, just clean. It took a while to figure out how everything went together, but I'm glad I did, because I found out that one af the ball bearings for the vacuum advance had fallen out, and was lodged in grease at the bottom of the housing, and all of the slide plates (where the bearings roll) were all rusty.

I got it back together, and I know for this distributor the air gap should be .2-.4 MM but I was wondering about the magnet at the bottom that the manual I have (a chilton, the only one I have for the early Zs) calls the contactor. Should it be touching the shaft? It was when I got the dist. from the JY, cause I noticed that to turn it it would go chug chug chug everytime the magnet bumped over the rounded off hexagon under the reluctor.

Lastly, is there anyway I can test the vacuum advance my self? The pod was pretty stff, but seems ok after I moved it around a bit, but I would like to test it if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

P.S. I know this should probably be inignition, but I swear no one EVER looks at that forum.

but wonder if someone could tell me the specs from a FSM on clearance for the pickup, and how do I adjust the magnet at the bottom? My zx manual is differen

Guest bang847
Just put about a foot long hose on the vac advance can and suck! Use your mouth to put a vacuum on it and if it works, you should see the pickup plate rotate.
Doubtful your mouth could pull enough vacuum to move it. A "MityVac" is a very cheap tool that tests these things with ease...

want more vacuum pressure? go to your local auto parts store and get a few "T" fittings and hook up a few more hoses and call over some friends.. you should get that thing to move by that... but yeah the mityvac is a great tool... great for brakes too!!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys, I firgured it out though (with just me, no friends :-)

well, I got my car running as it was (new IC Unit) so I just pulled off the FPR vacum hose, and stuck that puppy on there, it moved right over, perfect...

now, after knowing that the new Dist works right, I was playing with the vac line on the car, and I don't think it's even working on the car. It doesn't seem to draw a vacuum, even when revving the engine. Should it only come in with like, Heavy vacuum, like WOT, or under load?

and can someone explain how that vacuum setup works, with the canister and all, it seemed really wierd to me, like there is no direct vacuum line to the dizzy, it goes to a vac canister, and to a rubber grommet that moves, and draws a vacuum on the other side. Kind of like a speaker cone, but the whole thing didn't make sense to me. which is odd, because I'm very logical/mechanically oriented.

anyway, I'm rambling and misspelling words cause it's midnight, and I need to drag myself into bed b_hand.gif

Thanks,

Kris

Guest bang847

maybe im think slow.. but i know you got your thing down already... but if you need a vacuum source y not get a tube from a running car? like your g/f's honda or something? err... that is easier than sucking!

Guest Anonymous

That's what I realized man, I was like, Duh!

Of course, I don't have a Girlfriend, and she doesn't have a Honda (thank god :-)

definitely easier than sucking though!

Guest Anonymous

You can also test a vac advance diaphram by pushing the advance plate where it attaches to the vacuum advance linkage. Then just kink the hose in half, releasing the advance linkage it should hold, if not it'll just spring back. Thats the quick and dirty if you don't have a mityvac and don't suck. :D

Regards,

Lone