HybridZ

Injector staging could be my problem?

softopz

The car is at the shop now, the tuner is also having a hard time with it. A litte history its been an exhausting last year trying to get ms running on my littly datty. I have done almost everytest one can perform and I could still be possibly overlooking something.

The last 2 weeks the car was running it had a fresh set of plugs would start all the time. I had a list of things to, to make it road worthy like overflow tanks, exhaust, ebrake etc. I eventually got most of those things done. Then we go back to tuning (me and shop owner) and it doesnt catch not even a little bit. I went back and verified my timing , its dead on. I made no changes to the car wiring, setting in MS. Seems like everytime we run it, it fouls up but before that we tuned the idle down with a wideband to 13.5-14.5 it still fouls the plugs. I am at home now, later today I am going to the garage spend most of the morning and afternoon to get it going again.

I just read this post and got more confused!?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121270

I believe ms is driving 2 injector banks. 1 INJ set 1-3 , INJ 2 4-6 set for simultaneous. Does this sound right? Ill get a copy of my msq loaded here later from the garage, and double check if thats how I have it wired. I am just thinking maybe I fouling the plugs by banking an extra set of fuel.

The setup is:

l28et motor freshly rebuilt.

MS2 2.88 code

turbo injectors

EDIS ignition

240sx tps

Gm air and water temp sensors

It can have an effect on the idling quality...but if it was running before and now doesn't I'd concentrate on what changed. If it was the weather, it may be a sensor. As mentioned, cold start and enrichments can be difficult.

I started tuning mine with no enrichments and while it was hard to start the car, once it was warm I could map most everything else, then go back and concentrate on cold start, etc...

Good Luck.

I doubts its the weather we been getting consistant weather this past month. Well today we put a fresh set of plugs and I got a new batterey... the car started real well, held a good idle. I played around with injector control settings and the car didnt like simaltaneous squirts, So i left it the way it was which your right TONY I drove it around for awhile it was running real good!. We did a little bit of tuning. I got the brakes working again its was the check valve not properly put in. I still have lots of little things left to complete like fan control. But the real test is tomorrow and after tomorrow to see if it starts it seems like plugs get fould up fast even after some tuning!?

Since I did all my engine swap, ms2 , bushings, suspension and brake upgrades all at once there is lots of things to "break in" There is a loud bang while driving on bumps coming from either control arm or bump stop lots of finalizing touches left!

But my main issue is my charging system. Seems like my alternator is not charging according to MS Iam getting 11.6-12.3 V from the gauge in Megatune. I think Iam only running the power left in batterey since its new it drove really nice.

A little history on the alternator I figured I would upgrade to internally regulated alternator from a 280zx and I bought that plug that guy makes I think Zmanofwashington off zcar so I didnt have to splice anything. I Removed the external voltage regulator, plugged in the T shape connector that use to connect to another T shape on the old alternator. This time it goes directly to alt. Put my ground on and positive taht runs to fuse.box/starter, and then added that plug it melted after a while!? well not allot of it but one wire leaded into the diode inside the plug. Tony is there a better way of upgrading alternator with out that hassle. I dont mind now splicing some wires not sure which ones. I have 3 other alternators at home which Ill swap and test to see maybe this "new" ebay alternator is just crap. So if I upgrade to internally regulated alternator what do I do with the plug that use to run to external voltage regulator. The car is a 71 240z with l28et.

If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running. It should show 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If the voltage at the battery agrees with megasquirt then you are not charging or not charging well. If the number is OK at the battery, then the wiring for power to MS may not be good. How is your voltage reference wire to the alternator set up?

Today I put the plug that makes the proper jumpers with the diode. I found that now the car is running great and charging. The batterey at idle is showing 13v-14.5 However when I am driving the gauge in megatune is showing 16 v and even too 16.6 and changes to yellow. Which is concerning me I dont want to overpower anything and burn anything. Could it be the alternator I have is not internally regulated? I am pretty sure the listing showed it for a zx.