HybridZ

frame rail questions/concerns

Ron240zxt

How hard is it to change frame rails or fix them? Just noticed cracks/separation across rails One right were the tie rod mounts to (actually above that mount) and back toward the firewall all on the left side.. Until a answer arises ill be in the market for a 72/73 240z rolling chassis...

Thanks

Ron

• 3 years later...

I have that same problem. Or one very similar to it. What was your solution? Did you chop a parts car up to fix the problem? Any pictures? I'm still thinking about what to do on mine... Should i attempt to botch it myself, or should I take it in for a professional to service?

Did you take it in eventually? How much did it cost if you did?

When I envision "right above the tie rod" I'm thinking this sounds like the sway bar mounts are tearing out of the frame rails. That in and of itself is not too hard to fix. It's the crack headed back toward the firewall that I'm not understanding completely.

If it is just the sway bar area of the frame rail do a quick search and you'll find a recent discussion along with pics of my frame rails (I think I put pics in the thread anyway). There were a bunch of suggested fixes, all of which would work fine I'm sure.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106731

Check out page 2' date=' got some pics there. New frame rails and subframe!

Sample:

[/quote']

Yeah, I saw all twelve of your videos. That's just an amazing amount of work you're putting into it. IS it going to be a show car?

When I envision "right above the tie rod" I'm thinking this sounds like the sway bar mounts are tearing out of the frame rails. That in and of itself is not too hard to fix. It's the crack headed back toward the firewall that I'm not understanding completely.

If it is just the sway bar area of the frame rail do a quick search and you'll find a recent discussion along with pics of my frame rails (I think I put pics in the thread anyway). There were a bunch of suggested fixes' date=' all of which would work fine I'm sure.[/quote']

I actually posted pictures in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.

here it is: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=69331

After watching Mull's video and looking at the welds on my now-broken creeper... I think i will be better off taking my car in. I don't know how much it will cost, but I want to try and keep bodywork under a few grand. I hope.