HybridZ

"If you want it you gotta buy it yourself, mom and dad won't get it for you."

Yeah, Read that thread, it's interresting... Look into Antique/Modified insurance, it might soften the blow on the cost of insurance for you. You'll still need liability insurance at the very least.

Congrats on getting your car. These Z's are like Redheaded women, you get them happy and everything is going along fine, then just out of the blue for no apparent reason they get pissed and stop working. Then you do something that seems totally unrelated and then everything is happy again...

Those Dents.. Well they suck, but you might be able to tap them out with a 1" wooden dowel, rounded off on one end and a hammer. you then just had a friend hold a 2x4 block on the outside, and you tap the rounded off end into the dent from the backside, and you'll get it close enough. Then sand it off a bit, tap it back straight at you can, then break out the bondo, smooth it out in THIN coats letting it dry in between, then sand and primer and it'll be like it was never there. I'd sand and primer any spots that you've got rust starting. Rust is evil, and it travels under your paint, so sand the paint back a couple inches so you can be sure you're covered.

Note that Z's are Not as safe as modern cars so really pay attention when it comes to defensive driving. That's probably the main reason your dad isn't happy about the Z. You need to show him you'll be responsible with the car, and about what good condition the car is in, then maybe he'll start warming up to it. Especially if you get him to drive it :wink: hehe You might vacuum it out tho, first impressions and all. not to mention a good cleaning might make it run better :D

Phar

P.s: Check your Brake Fluid, it looks low in the picts...

Yeah I'll definitely get insurance no matter what. I'm not gonna risk everything for a few hundred bucks, I've been waiting too long to drive.

There aren't too many red heads here in the bay area...I haven't seen one in a really really long time.

I will also definitely get those dents out. I don't even know how you dent some place like that..

Clean up is a thumbs up. But to be honest with you I don't really feel like doing it. Who knows what has been in that thing! On one of those hots days I could have sworn I smelled a carcass! I'll take it down to the local gas station and have them do it..hehe. He did want to test drive it..it was the first day it didn't jump start, so we are already off to a not so good impression haha.

Will check brake fluids thanks for the heads up.

I now know another Z in San Jose :mrgreen:. I know your friend Dave...Well, my friend works with Dave (that's how I know him). I stopped by Dave's on Thursday to give him my spoiler because I have no use for it. We talked about your car for a bit and other people's cars while he was working on his lighting issue. He was hoping to go out to that meet at Starbuck in Santa Clara but I think he never went because he couldn't get his back lights to work. For $300 bucks I think that is not a bad find at all. Dave told me he picked his up for $700 and it's his 5th one. When Dave started up his car it really made me miss mine....Damn devil has been in the shop for a while. We should all meet up and go for a drive once I get my car back and you get your DL and insurance.

Here's where to get brackets for a 240Z-260Z bumper mod

http://www.zccjdm.com/

(Also a member on here)

For car insurance, I use Mercury because of the following

1. The oldest car they'll insure is 1975 (yay, we meet the cut off)

2. The best price I have found PERIOD

Just to gives you a heads up, your probably going to get a lot of crap talk from friends and family about your ride. Just know that it's your ride, your worked hard to get it and where you'll be taking this project too. This is your car a lot of work will be put in and IT WILL BE PAID OFF IN THE END. In the end, you may be the first out of all your friends to complete a project and they'll be coming to you for help. Once it's fixed up, they will be going from "That thing sux" to "Give me a ride....or Let me drive it" I put up with a lot since I had my Z...But I never lost my motivation or will to finish it up. I've gotten close at times because of all the smack talk and even see some people give up, but now I use all that for motivation. Once I do get my car back I'll let the Z do the smack talk while I watch :mrgreen:.

Wish you the best of luck on your project.

Yeah..thursday was his day off and he did come help me that day with my stuff. He was at my place when his lights went out lol. Yup Dave has been through a lot, he told me. Such a shame how a couple of them went into the impound...the good ones too! Dave's car is just...beast..Yes! in September! I won't have my DL until march but hopefully i'll have my permit the first week of september!

Thanks for the link! There's some other stuff I saw that I want to get too!

As for the insurance..I'm not sure..I was just thinking of driving really carefully..with cheapy one way insurance. You know..just enough to cover my bum. That way I'll think twice when my friends ask me if I want to race. I'll try my best not to wrap it around a tree like some of my friends have already done to their cars.

The smack talk has actually already passed me by..haha. Two of my cousins have a z and my brother has had many. So whatever they need to say has been said and heard. But my friends actually want to come see my car and some ask to drive it. I always get something like.. "Dude, this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It actually looks pretty cool" lol

wow so true... like the time i fixed my hazard light switch and my fuel gauge started working, or the time i removed a hack job alarm system and my interior lights got brighter....

Yup, the car turned off just fine when it was the alternator or battery was messed up, but I swear when Dave helped me fixed those two. That's when other problem arised. It's insane...It drives me insane!

Forgive these off-topic comments, but a had to laugh at a few of the previous posts about seemingly unrelated fixes/problems...

Like changing the alternator and immediately start leaking antifreeze and gas?

Or like replacing your fuel pump to find your 4way's have started working...

Or like cleaning your carpets to find that all running lights and high beams now work, and the brake lights aren't anymore... but now that they are working, less electricity is available to run the electric fuel pump -- later having to mess again with a new fuel regulator gauge as it no longer get's req. pressure at idle.

Oh electrical issues. I love grounding and cleaning terminals... especially when it involves getting right under the passenger dash/firewall of the early 240.

Love the noise of the Carter pumping stronger and weaker in tune with the signal, 4way's, ciggerette lighter, pedal/brake, etc

The reason your car doesn't turn off is probly because you put in a newer alternator with an internal regulator and your car has an external voltage regulator. Same thing happened to me, something is backfeeding into the sense line so the alternator never quits powering the car. Try looking at the bottom of this page:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

You'll probly have to disconnect the regulator according to their instructions and then splice in a diode on the sense line.

Hope that helps.

congrats on the buy im 15 and i bought my 75 280z for 1800 and did a turbo L24 swap in it and its almost running best part i did it my self and as for trash talk my lil sis is like oh your cars ugly and o im not gonna be seen in that car and stuff and im like you wont be sayin that wen its painted and running

Guest Rolling Parts
... im 15 and i bought my 75 280z for 1800

I did not realize that a minor could purchase and register an automobile. much less get a drivers license and insurance at 15.

Congratulations!!! im from san jose too and currently working on my 240z. i saw your car on craigslist and was on sale for 1000 i think, i went over and ask the guy if hed sell it for $500.00 and he said no. ur lucky to get it that cheap! well good luck!

burninator - Thanks I'll try that if I ever get the chance!

turboHLS30 - wow I never had that kind of money when i was 15, but great to hear that it's running well! and for trash talk..yeah one day they'll ask for a ride you just wait. Can't wait to see it!

j240z - I'm confused here...There was no asking price for my car on craigslist. I posted the ad on there and if you emailed me you would have gotten a direct link to this forum. Not only that I did not give my address out to anyone who emailed me. Also, I would have been notified if someone passed by and made an offer on my car. Who did you run into? Are you sure you have the right car?

Keep a look out! I might do a full part out of my baby soon! I'm having trouble registering it and the previous owner is not willing to help me!

grretc-oh no, what i meant was before you bought it from the guy that used to own it, i took a look at it. didnt he live in first st and trimble where the mobile homes are? if not then nevermind. hehehe i dont know but im sure ive seen that car before. :)

turboHLS30 - wow I never had that kind of money when i was 15, but great to hear that it's running well! and for trash talk..yeah one day they'll ask for a ride you just wait. Can't wait to see

Yea actually my dad gave me a 240z and i had a dirt bike and sold those two and bam i had 1800 now im poor again LOL