HybridZ

"If you want it you gotta buy it yourself, mom and dad won't get it for you."

"If you want it you gotta buy it yourself, mom and dad won't get it for you."

Those are the words my brother told me when I saw his z and started searching for one. My parents were down to buy me my first car but they were not down for was to buy me a z. A long time ago as a young child I told my father I was going to buy my first car by myself and keep it forever. He told me he'd like to see it happen.

I'm 17 years old and ten days ago without a license or permit on August 20th, 2009 I showed him. I bought a 1975 280z

I bought my first car and my first z for 300 dollars off of a gentleman who lived in a mobile home park with his wife. She's been telling him to get rid of it for the longest time.

It broke down before we got it out the park. So I towed it to a friends house to keep cause I knew my parents were not going to be too happy about it. Her mom though was actually pretty proud of me. The car looks like one giant piece of turd but she was proud. She said she likes my ambition.

My friends and I would jump start it, drive it avoiding the popo and bring it back. But one day I decided to bring it to my house and tell my father about it. Boy was he not happy. He was so disappointed he didn't even yell at me. He told me to get rid of it. My mom was okay with it she knew I was happy. It's a big piece of turd, but it's my piece of turd and I love it.

UNDER THIS IS THE MAIN POINT i just wanted to share my story :burnout:

But one day my baby stopped turning on. My brother had a spare alternator so I switched it out. Nothing. I changed the battery and now it starts. But I was told by my friend Dave, who helps me fix the car, that the idle runs really high. We also found out..that the car doesnt stop. I use to be able to take the key out of the ignition and the car would stop but for some reason now it just doesn't turn off. I could drive it without

the keys in the ignition, but I hear that's really dangerous cause the wheel could lock up. And for some reason, it overheats. My friend Dave also said the thermostat might need replacing? Any advice? I've used the search engine and couldn't find anything. Also, will the 260z bumper fit this?

I also need to get it off my dad's sight before he calls the city to come tow it off the street. It's not registered.

Enough talk! Picture time! If you guys see anything that you guys have and I need it or could use it. Tell me I'd like to buy it off you. Rebuild thread coming soon when my candy sellers start hustling for me again. Wooden steering wheels...mmm

When it was sitting at a friends house

IMG_9706.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

Took it home

IMG_9734.jpg

Dents (I didn't put them there)

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9732.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9740.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

IMG_9743.jpg

IMG_9744.jpg

IMG_9745.jpg

Was it a good buy? Or will it soon be goodbye?

Woah that's pretty cool! A true California car, it has the floor temp thing for if the cat gets too hot.

It will definitely be a bit of work, but it'll be worth it! That glass looks like it's in really good shape, which is nice! From the pics your rust looks pretty minimal as well, another plus! The floorboards in specific are nice for its age.

That yellow thing is the coolant overflow bottle, so you might check your coolant level. It might be overflowing onto the ground over time, and causing the overheating problem.

Woah that's pretty cool! A true California car, it has the floor temp thing for if the cat gets too hot.

It will definitely be a bit of work, but it'll be worth it! That glass looks like it's in really good shape, which is nice! From the pics your rust looks pretty minimal as well, another plus! The floorboards in specific are nice for its age.

That yellow thing is the coolant overflow bottle, so you might check your coolant level. It might be overflowing onto the ground over time, and causing the overheating problem.

Thanks! My brother and I did try to look for a car with minimal rust. The coolant is actually flowing into the ground..I noticed it when i was under the car changer the alternator. I guess I should go home and try to get that thing in!?

You're already ahead of the curve by having a '75 Zcar.

No Smog.

Sweet.

Yup! That's one of the things I first learned from my brother. 75 and down so if I ever plan to do a motor swap I won't get hassled.

oh, forgot those still existed lol

LOL

the shoes I have are imitation vans bro sorry. My brother got them for me from old navy and surprisingly they last a lot longer than vans. I wear them almost everyday

very cool, i wish i had a 75. your brother was right, i go through so much hassle to get mine somgged. where in the bay do you live?

I'm sorry to hear that. Go get a 75 or lower. I just saw a stripped yellow one on craigslist. I live in San Jose.

Good score, welcome to Z-dom. My advice, spend all your spare cash getting it to run reliably before you spend money on stereos,seats, paint, etc. The worst thing to deal with is a car breaking down all the time. I did that when I was a little older than you with a Corvette I had at the time.

Great car, lots of potential. I recently picked up a 75 280z as well, which is great since I also live in norcal during the summers.

Reading your post made me laugh because I had pretty much the same story when I bought mine.

Good luck with your car. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Great story, great ambition.

I'm sorry to say though, no liscense or permit, no registration and no insurance is plain stupid. Do a search on this forum. Mr. Lamb has a story for you and could give you some insight on his situation.

You are the reason we pay such high premiums. Use that ambition to think of some others now! :)

Congrats on the car. She will be nice eventually.

Great story, great ambition.

I'm sorry to say though, no liscense or permit, no registration and no insurance is plain stupid. Do a search on this forum. Mr. Lamb has a story for you and could give you some insight on his situation.

You are the reason we pay such high premiums. Use that ambition to think of some others now! :)

Congrats on the car. She will be nice eventually.

Don't worry I like to act a little smarter than that. I never take the car out...far..or by myself haha. It's crazy just to take the car from one side of the street to the driveway. The car will soon be registered and insured under my brother's name and he'll drive it around because his civic hatchback just got jacked.

I did a search... Mr. Lamb?

Yeah, Read that thread, it's interresting... Look into Antique/Modified insurance, it might soften the blow on the cost of insurance for you. You'll still need liability insurance at the very least.

Congrats on getting your car. These Z's are like Redheaded women, you get them happy and everything is going along fine, then just out of the blue for no apparent reason they get pissed and stop working. Then you do something that seems totally unrelated and then everything is happy again...

Those Dents.. Well they suck, but you might be able to tap them out with a 1" wooden dowel, rounded off on one end and a hammer. you then just had a friend hold a 2x4 block on the outside, and you tap the rounded off end into the dent from the backside, and you'll get it close enough. Then sand it off a bit, tap it back straight at you can, then break out the bondo, smooth it out in THIN coats letting it dry in between, then sand and primer and it'll be like it was never there. I'd sand and primer any spots that you've got rust starting. Rust is evil, and it travels under your paint, so sand the paint back a couple inches so you can be sure you're covered.

Note that Z's are Not as safe as modern cars so really pay attention when it comes to defensive driving. That's probably the main reason your dad isn't happy about the Z. You need to show him you'll be responsible with the car, and about what good condition the car is in, then maybe he'll start warming up to it. Especially if you get him to drive it :wink: hehe You might vacuum it out tho, first impressions and all. not to mention a good cleaning might make it run better :D

Phar

P.s: Check your Brake Fluid, it looks low in the picts...

Edited by Pharaohabq
brake fluid.

I now know another Z in San Jose :mrgreen:. I know your friend Dave...Well, my friend works with Dave (that's how I know him). I stopped by Dave's on Thursday to give him my spoiler because I have no use for it. We talked about your car for a bit and other people's cars while he was working on his lighting issue. He was hoping to go out to that meet at Starbuck in Santa Clara but I think he never went because he couldn't get his back lights to work. For $300 bucks I think that is not a bad find at all. Dave told me he picked his up for $700 and it's his 5th one. When Dave started up his car it really made me miss mine....Damn devil has been in the shop for a while. We should all meet up and go for a drive once I get my car back and you get your DL and insurance.

Here's where to get brackets for a 240Z-260Z bumper mod

http://www.zccjdm.com/

(Also a member on here)

For car insurance, I use Mercury because of the following

1. The oldest car they'll insure is 1975 (yay, we meet the cut off)

2. The best price I have found PERIOD

Just to gives you a heads up, your probably going to get a lot of crap talk from friends and family about your ride. Just know that it's your ride, your worked hard to get it and where you'll be taking this project too. This is your car a lot of work will be put in and IT WILL BE PAID OFF IN THE END. In the end, you may be the first out of all your friends to complete a project and they'll be coming to you for help. Once it's fixed up, they will be going from "That thing sux" to "Give me a ride....or Let me drive it" I put up with a lot since I had my Z...But I never lost my motivation or will to finish it up. I've gotten close at times because of all the smack talk and even see some people give up, but now I use all that for motivation. Once I do get my car back I'll let the Z do the smack talk while I watch :mrgreen:.

Wish you the best of luck on your project.

Congrats on getting your car. These Z's are like Redheaded women, you get them happy and everything is going along fine, then just out of the blue for no apparent reason they get pissed and stop working. Then you do something that seems totally unrelated and then everything is happy again...

wow so true... like the time i fixed my hazard light switch and my fuel gauge started working, or the time i removed a hack job alarm system and my interior lights got brighter....