HybridZ

Horrible CLSD grinding on decel (KAAZ)

hughdogz

Hi Guys,

This happened last night. Just coasting or having it in gear without any load makes it whine / grind like no other. It sounds horrible!

My question is whether or not the clutch packs are ruined at this point.

I think the gear oil went bad. For a KAAZ, the oil is supposed to be changed every 5000 miles. I've only put on ~2500 miles going to L.A. and back. I used Valvoline 80/90W gear oil and almost two tubes of CRC LSD oil.

Another possibility is that I mounted the exhaust too close to the diff, but there is at least an inch of clearance, and the exhaust is wrapped and sealed with high-temp paint...

How can I tell if I need new clutches? They get "ridged" or something? I'll post pics later...I'm hoping they got glazed and I can clean them off (slim chance) :icon56:

Thanks for any input -hughdogz

The LSD operates when the wheels turn at different speeds. If you're going straight and not flooring it, the gears and clutches in the LSD aren't moving. They might be getting compressed by the cross pin shaft, but they aren't moving. So if you have a grinding on decel that is not an indication of a problem with the LSD internals. It is an indication of a problem with a bearing or with the ring and pinion.

If a bearing or ring and pinion goes bad and puts a bunch of metal in the oil, that could affect the LSD. If the LSD has a problem that could put metal in the oil and take out a bearing or gear. Simply having a grinding on decel doesn't necessarily mean the LSD is in trouble though.

Thank jmortensen! That is exactly what the Tech said at KAAZ. You're the Jedi master for drivetrains :mrgreen:

He reccomended that I simply change out the oil, to see if that helps. Otherwise he suspects a pinion bearing.

I just got back from the Ford dealer with some Motul friction modifier for the gear oil change. I'll see if it does the trick.

The customer support at KAAZ is awesome! Ray asked all the right questions, and didn't try to sell me something I didn't need...kind of.

They have a new unit out that has 16 clutches instead of 8, and doesn't have the dreaded "knock-knock" sound!!

Ray says there is a guy in Texas working with him to develop a carrier specifically for the S30 / S130 R200's. I'm betting it's RossMan :icon44:

I think changing the diff oil worked!

No more noise just taking it around the block. I'll have to bring it up to operating temps to know for sure. I need to do some tuning runs anyway :flamedevi

[Edit: there was a little bit of metal particles collected on the drain plug magnet, but not too too bad. I also flushed it a bit and the gear oil was pretty clean coming back out.]