HybridZ

Ideal 2nd gear speed for Autocross?

wheelman

I just acquired a 3.90 ratio R200 for a great price (free) and am debating whether to run it vs. the 3.54 for autocross.

I figured out that with the 3.54 I hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear at ~64.7mph, with the 3.90 I'd hit it at ~58.8mph. I could raise the rev limiter a little from 6000rpm to 6300rpm and gain a few mph but not sure it's worth the extra wear on the engine.

So the question is, what is the ideal speed to hit the rev limiter in 2nd considering the car is basically dedicated to autocross?

That's what I said and didn't believe it until I saw the data from a couple different cars and drivers. The data acquisition guy did an overlay of the same driver upshifting and not and at the end of a 65 second course the difference was that one upshft.

Its not just the shift, its the time between lifting off the throttle and being back on the throttle. The downshift doesn't usually matter if you're good at heel/toe because ideally you're braking while downshifting from 3rd to second.

Yes. The shift took .65 seconds (measured from acceleration peak to acceleration peak) which translated to .3 seconds at the end of the run. The faster run had the car on the rev limiter for about 3.5 seconds.

It's not just upshifting that loses speed. I learned that one a long time ago when I let a guy with a little slower than mine drive my car. He beat me by about 1/2 second in my own car. There was a slalom to an end cone which had to be turned around and then you slalomed back. He kept it in second and bogged around the cone. I downshifted to first and then back to second. His way was faster.