HybridZ

3M's Weldable Primer - A+ Product!

Zzeal

I'm getting ready to weld on some Hard Dog frame rail caps. I really wanted to coat the back sides of the caps with something, but didn't know if anything could survive the intense heat.

I did a "weldable primer" search but didn't find any conclusive info there, so we did a test. We coated two scrap 12 ga. pieces with 3M's weldable primer, mig'ed them together and found the primer wasn't affected by the heat!

Now that's what I call $32 a can, paying off!.

You can see where I scratched off the primer after it cooled.

We also had a chance to sample Eastwoods version of the primer and much preferred 3M's.

Steve

IMG_0921.jpg

I'm about to do the same bad dog frame rail install and have been wondering what I was going to do about this situation. Problem solved, but did you happen to get it locally? With the large amount of things I've order off the net recently, I've really started to prefer getting things locally, even if it means a few more dollars.

I went to 3M's web site and got the low down on their Weld-Thru Coating II, #05917. It's "designed to prevent corrosion from forming between two weldable metal surfaces".

After welding, grind the welds, and if you're going to use plastic filler they advise you to remove the remaining weld-thru. If you're just painting after grinding, they'd have you spray 3-4 coats of weld-thru to the weld area's and follow with primer (especially theirs) and paint.

------------------------------------

Flexicoker-

It's introducing an impurity to the weld, but it wasn't enough for us to notice, it welded just fine.

------------------------------------

Namor-

I found mine at a welding shop, four others didn't carry it.

Steve