HybridZ

CA smog exemption...again

Tim240z

OK fellas...I've read through the entire mobile source section of the proposed CARB Clean Air Plan (CAP), and it seems fairly obvious that the exemption for 73 and older vehicles will remain rockon.gif2thumbs.gifcheers.gif:D . They are however considering rewriting the 1997 law, which would have made a 30 year rolling exemption beginning 2003, to repeal that exemption.

So if you have a 73 and older car 2thumbs.gif

if you have a 74 and newer car twak.gif

Good news for me...egr and smog pump are getting violently 86'ed from my LT1 rockon.gif

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but if you are stopped by a cop pulls you over and looks under the hood, and tells you to get a smog check, you aren't smog exempt as you may think. This is the same if you get stopped at a roadside smog check.

All the same smog requirements are still there if you are told by a peace officer to get a smog check. All smog exemption means is that you don't have to get it every two years. So if you are stopped at a roadside smog check, you are still screwed.

Oh I agree completely!! However, the chances of getting a cop smog check request are significantly lower, and the CAP actually states that the remote sensing effort was not particularly effective, so I don't believe that SQAQMD will implement that again. While we're on the topic, DMV can, at their discretion, request that ANYONE, at random, go get smog checked.

The good news that I am specifically refering to is that with the 73 and older exeption in place, a smog check is not going to be automatic. I am willing to take my chances with CHP.

Tim

Supposedly the remote sensing thing is coming to Virginia. :( Guy on SupraForums spotted a truck not far from where I live - most uncool! They set them up where the car has to be under load up a hill too - cute. I've also heard of them on onramp accel lanes - jerks!

BLK,

There's always a way around the remote sensing equipment.

As you probably know it uses lasers to measure the refraction of the beam through the exhaust gasses. If you bring your exhaust tailpipe to under the car (forward of the stock exit position which has it exiting rear of the rear bumper), and then make some type of diffusing arrangement with some sheetmetal at the tailpipe, the exhaust gasses will be so diluted by the time the laser 'sees' it that it will think that you're driving an electric vehicle.

That's only necessary if your emissions are higher than they should be.

This is however theoretical as I have never tried it, but I have it on fairly good authority that it will work.

Tim

Anybody know what wavelength laser they are using? The proper filter (from edison, etc.) over a rear mounted fog light might overcome the reflection they are looking for from your exhaust. Last I checked, emitting in the non-visible IR bands wasn't illegal - yet.

I agree that in general a well tuned car won't be a gross polluter, but they are playing unfair if they are setting up in areas that REQUIRE acceleration, IMO. If they are going to play unfair, then I would too.

Anybody know what wavelength laser they are using?
Mike,

This place has done most (if not all) of the pioneering on remote sensing equipment and especially on sunlight refraction by different criteria pollutants and their precusors. If anyone is interested in following up with some type of device to 'fool' the remote sensing equipment, I'm sure that someone at the Institute caould provide some of the technical data on how the remote sensing equipment functions.

Desert research Institute in Reno NV

Tim

One of my ideas was to have a bullet muffler under the car and have it exit there. The ricer muffler at the rear would be just for show.

As for the IR emitters, I was thinking of them for up front. We don't have many roadside smoggers in CA yet but there are a lot of stoplight cameras! Especially in the LA area, that means you Tim smile.gif

Owen

Guest Anonymous

well i guess my Mr. Gasket locking hood pins( the ones that i lost the key for right before the smog check).were worth the 25 bucks.

Guest kc6wfs

Ya know I was thinking of how to fool the sensors also.

They are looking between 10"-20" off the ground. Read that some where.

Most cars have the exhaust in that area.

You could one one of the diverters for exhaust to bypass the muffler and have it go to a area above 20" or to where it will be mixed with air before it reaches the rear of the car.

In California we should not have to worry about road side monitoring devices for years to come with the billion dollar deficet.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest kc6wfs

Ya know I was thinking of how to fool the sensors also.

They are looking between 10"-20" off the ground. Read that some where.

Most cars have the exhaust in that area.

You could one one of the diverters for exhaust to bypass the muffler and have it go to a area above 20" or to where it will be mixed with air before it reaches the rear of the car.

In California we should not have to worry about road side monitoring devices for years to come with the billion dollar deficet.

Dave

cheers.gif

Found this,

"Radar-Jamming Devices are Illegal (SB 1964) Use of devices capable of jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with a radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by law enforcement to measure speed are illegal. In addition, such devices cannot be purchased, possessed, sold, manufactured, or distributed in California."

But you, know, it's only illegal if you're caught and punished ;)

Owen