HybridZ

Installing 83 zxturbo into 77 280z

First, yes I have searched. For two weeks, 2-3 hours a day. Tons and tons of information available to most of it for technical upgrades I am not interested in.

Here's the deal. I have a 77 280z that I want to put the engine (with 83 non turbo transmission) from an 83 turbo ZX. I have the complete donor car sitting right next to the 77. All I want to accomplish at this time is take the stock motor out of the zx, put it in the z, reach through the steering wheel and rotate the key switch and expect it to start.

The questions I can't find answers to include, but may not be limited to are:

Do I use the turbo electronics that are next to the drivers side kick panel? Is it all pretty much plug and play once I remove and reinstall it into the 280 or do I need to modify and morph some of it?

Tons of info on ignition upgrades. I am not ready to do that yet. I have determined the ignition from the 280 is not going to work and that I need to use the stock ignition. Does this control unit and wiring separate itself from the main harness to the point I can pull each respective system and replace it or do I have to morph some of this (wiring harness) as well?

Are there any other traps to look for?

The mechanical stuff I can do without issues.

FWI-I have a donor 77 280 and a donor 83 non turbo as well to cannibalize if necessary.

I am looking for usable practical information or links to such. I know I will get better performance with various upgrades but all things in due time. I am an old guy still living in a carbureted world and have to walk before I can run.

Thanks for help and input.

Leonard

Here's the deal. I have a 77 280z that I want to put the engine (with 83 non turbo transmission) from an 83 turbo ZX. I have the complete donor car sitting right next to the 77. All I want to accomplish at this time is take the stock motor out of the zx, put it in the z, reach through the steering wheel and rotate the key switch and expect it to start.

Well, we old guys need to stick together... (OK, I wasn't going to admit it, but I was raised in Idaho Falls - so I guess "spud-heads" need to stick together too...)

My son and I have done 2 "turbo swaps"... First, into his 76 280Z - then into a 74 260Z for me. Your 77 makes for a nice swap because it's an EFI car from the start. You won't be using the 77 ECU or it's harness, it's AFM... Remove all that stuff from the ZX carefully and it doesn't hurt to take a lot of pictures.

First, go to carfiche.com and download the Factory Service Manuals for the 77 280Z and the 1982 280ZX (includes Turbo). (the 82 will be the same as the 83 280zx...)

Second, rewiring is not really all that hard and it'll be easier for you because you have the complete 280zx to see "how it all went together in the first place".

If you're going STOCK L28ET, you want the ECU harness intact from the 280zx and you're going to put it in the 280 pretty much the same way you take it out of the donor. It mainly goes from the "computer" box out the firewall along the left side of the engine to the AFM & VCM and onto the engine for the injectors and sensors. There's a branch off to the right out of the firewall to the battery and right-side sensors (cyl head temp and knock sensor). Personally, I used the relays (EFI and Fuel Pump) and fusable links from the ZX on my 260 (all near the battery location - some of that stuff is in the fender (body) beside the battery and runs down to the fuse block)- easier than what we did on my son's 280...

Use the ZX Coil and ignitor and take the wiring harness from the coil (follow it back through the fender of the zx all the way into the cockpit...) You'll only use some of the wiring - much of it is for the washer pumps & etc on that side of the zx...

One of the biggest "gotcha's" with these old Z's is electrical contacts - they can really corrode over the years. When you're going through this stuff, clean all the electrical connectors up. Make sure the wiring and connectors are good. It can save you a LOT of headache and wasted time trying to eliminate glitches down the road...

The zx was built for it's AFM. It's a little tricky getting that big old air-box into your Z Car. It won't mount like the Z AFM... You have to play with the air intake, maybe re-position the coil, find a spot for the VCM (if you use it - we did in both our cars - there's room above the A/C compressor (oh ya, we both have A/C... this IS Arizona...)). We both ditched the stock air cleaner, re=piped the cold air intake and used cone filters...

Nick kept the stock 280 radiator, mine didn't have one so I made the radiator out of MY 280ZX turbo donor work in my 260. The oil cooler came stock on the Auto Tranny 280ZX Turbo models (but not the Manual Tranny model). Neither of us use the oil cooler even though both our engines had them originally. Nick's has been running for 2 1/2 years (in Arizona) - mine since April. And ya, it's September 14th and it's STILL nearly 100 degrees here!

The ZX uses an alternator with a built-in voltage regulator (and cranks more amps bacause the ZX was PACKED with electronics!). Neither my 260 or the 76 280 did. The regulator was external. I eliminated voltage regulator from the start and re-wired the 260 to be 280ZX style in that regard. With Nick's 280, we used his original alternator (and voltage reg.). It worked fine for 2 years but when that alternator went out, we replaced it with a ZX alternator (we had as an extra), eliminated the external voltage regulator, and did the simple re-wire so it worked and charged properly. You have the choice of going either way...

The engine is the same as far as mounts go. It'll mount right in the 280 frame and mate to the Z's transmission. It's WAY easier to pull the engine and tranny as a unit.

You can use the stock ZX downpipe and exhaust (through the Cat). We had to use a catalyst here - emissions testing... Unless you're going to use an MSA downpipe, it's not a bad idea to use as much of the ZX piping as you can. It fits (until the end of the cat...), it's heat shielded (and that turbo lights up the exhaust...), and it simplifies the exhaust out of the turbo. Then you'll have to have an exhaust fabbed or buy a kit from MSA to go from the Cat (or end of the downpipe) back...

Save the boost gauge from the donor car. I made 2 custom boost gauges for our cars using the boost gauge guts from the ZX - I mounted them in the clock housing from the Z cars... Our clocks didn't work, but our boost gauges do! If you don't use it, send it to me (or send it to me and I'll make you a "clock boost gauge" too).

Leave the power steering mounting bracket ON the engine! It covers and seals the now-non-existent mechanical fuel pump port.

The Z fuel pump may be sufficient for the turbo motor, but I'd use the fuel pump from the ZX instead.

The turbo puts a lot of heat on that side of the engine. You can use some of the heat sheilding from the ZX. Keep the shield that's next to the brake master cylinder.

We also kept the "hood scoop" from the drivers side of the ZX and cut our hoods so we could use it. It directs air down past the turbo. We only use the scoop and 1st vent section (so there are 3 mounting bolts) - but the 77 has hood vents already - don't know if that'll work for you.

Lastly, (for this post :) ) there are lots of people here that know a lot about Z Cars so have no fear... You may have lots of questions as you get into it. All the answers are here so have fun (busting the hell out of your knuckles!) At least you'll be doing it in the freezing COLD, snowy, blowing winter of the Frozen North!

Hey cgsheen, thanks for the info. This is the basic stuff I needed to know. No sense in reiventing the wheel. The plan is to move the turbo stuff to the non turbo car exactly as it is, then make whatever mods are deemed necessary from there. I had hoped to get started last weekend but like any good plan.............ugh!

Thanks again for the help from everyone that chimed in.

Leonard