HybridZ

240Z vs 260Z vs 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Aside from the obvious external differences (big bumpers), there are many subtle differences. 5 vs 4 speed, larger differential, creature comforts that weigh a pound here and there in the interior, and the unibody uses thicker gauge sheet metal in places to support the Fed's 5 mph impact survivability mandate that made the earlier bumpers and supporting structure a joke.

I have a 280Z that is stripped down to the shell, I also have a 240Z. It is reall amazing to see how much heavier the subframes, frame rails, etc etc, the bars in the doors are much larger too. I am using the 280 for my V-8 conversion because of this. I'll have very little to do to make sure it's real nice and stiff!

Demidion

I read and agree. This is just me talking but I feel the 280 hopefully should save me alot of modification of the frame. When I install my LT-1 and T-56 I like the idea of stenght in the chassis. I feel the xtra weight in the frame was well thought out. May have evolved from the need to strengthen the 240 chassis. The other weight gain from the 280 was basicly the FI, Rear end, Bumpers, smog control, which can be removed when you do the V-8 thang!!!!!!!!! :D (the rear end may not need to be changed since its a R-200) 2thumbs.gif

jtr also lists a breakdown for the weight differences in the back of the book. i think when you put a v8 in a 280z or 280zx, the extra weight doesnt factor in much except you dont need to do much to brace the frame for your average 300hp v8, and even less if it is a 2+2, i think less than a foot of square tube steel and you will have converted one of those into a full frame car.