HybridZ

Do interior panels swap / interchange between the 240/260/280/zx?

cksubs

Hi, I've recently grabbed some parts off a 240z part car (I think '71) for my '77 280z. I've got a brown interior in the 280 and want to replace it with black, which the 240 luckily has.

From searching I gather that the doors changed and thus the door panels/vinyl don't match up smoothly. How about the rear hatch area hard plastic panels and/or the soft fabric pieces?

I'd love to grab them but if any mods are needed for a clean fit I'll probably just wait until a 280z parts car comes around...

Thanks

Unfortunately, I believe the door panels between 240/260/280 are all slightly different. I installed 280 panels in my late-'74 260 and the holes for the window cranks and armrests were slightly off (you'd think they'd be the same, given the fact that my car is a LATE-'74 model!). I used 'em anyway....just had to relocate the holes about an inch or so....covered up the gaps with some black adhesive cloth tape. I also had to drill a couple new holes in the backside for the plastic clips. You can see the results in my 'Intro' thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=151406

I'm pretty sure the back panels (behind the doors) are pretty much fully interchangeable 70-78. Same goes for the rear hatch pieces.

As an alternative, have you considered using any of the spray-on vinyl dyes to dye your brown panels to black? I've used Dupli-Color's Vinyl and Fabric dye with good results -- available at most auto parts stores.

Good luck and happy motoring.

I'm going through the same thing you are it sounds like. I just took out the tan interior and am going with black but I'm doing it by repairing and cleaning up the original tan interior. Then I'm hitting it with Krylon Fusion in gloss black and it's come out really good so far. I'll post up some pics when I'm done.

Yeah I'll definitely be looking for 280 hardware for the doors, they're different. Does anyone have a definitive answer though for the rear panels and fabric? I think there are 2 around the speaker, and one farther back, plus two fabric pieces on each side. Do those interchange between the 240 and 280?

Great ideas though for painting the brown interior black. I may end up just doing that.

StealthZ-

Thx for the reminder about the locks....I had forgotten about that. (Amazing how our minds blank out the unpleasant things in life!)

Yeah.....in addition to the window cranks, armrests, and door-mounting clips; I had to relocate the door locks when I put the 280 door panels on my 260. This meant cutting enough metal inside the metal door frame to provide a new "channel" for the door lock rod to follow.

It's all these little details that make our Z's so much fun to work on!!

• 5 months later...