HybridZ

p90 cam and towers on a l24

gp339gm339

I have a very noisy l24, found one of the cam spray bar retaining bolts had came out / stripped the thread on a tower. Also the welds on the cam spray bar are lose. I need the ar on the rod asap.

I have two options.

I have have another head that I could get a tower off.

Or

I have a l28 with a p90 head that I could get the cam and towers off.

I intend on rebuilding the l28 at a latter date and re installing in the vehilce ( low comprssion)

What will affect will the p90 cam have on the L24.

Also do I set the cam etc up the same as a l28?

Don't take my word for it, but I believe the cam towers and the cam from the P90 will swap over to the L24. I've heard of people taking the older style cam towers with spray bar and putting them on the newer head. So I'd think you should be fine. As far as what would happen, I'm thinking a slight decrease in power, as I've seen people switching the turbo cams out for the N/A cams to get a bump in power. As far as running goes you should be fine.

I don't see how that could possibly be a good idea. Those cam bores are line bored to be true, so once they are swapped out for ones that were not, it's no longer a true circle for the cam to get a correct oil film in.

Now, weather guy's have went ahead and done it any ways.... I'll let them speak up. :)

When I bought my P90 it came without towers. So I took a set off an old damaged head and bolted them on. Within 5 minutes of loosening, tapping, tightening, repeat, I had the cam spinning perfectly. It was really no big deal.

Later I shaved the head and added spacers and again, it was easy to get the towers aligned.

I'm not saying it would always be that easy, but it was for me. Quite frankly, I've never read anyone say they had a problem with it.

Thanks for all the info.

I check the tower and found that the PO has used a very short bolt and had stripped the first 3mm (which was as far in as the bolt reached).

Also found that the gaps were wrong which accounted for the noise.

I found some correct length bolts and used them. Reset the gaps and all ok