HybridZ

240sx Caliper Problem?

The 240sx caliper slides on two guide pins. After installing the calipers I noticed that the right side caliper had some play in the guide pins. I could move the right caliper up and down slightly. The left caliper is tight and can not be moved up, down or side to side. So I went back to NAPA and exchanged the right side caliper for a new one. After installing the new caliper it also has the slight up and down movement.

Is this a problem or normal for floating calipers?

Thanks

Miles

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old question.  I have similar observations with my Maxima rear calipers currently being rebuilt.  The guide pins seem to be somewhat sloppy, so I bought some new ones, and they have a similar amount of slop.  I do have enough parts lying around I can swap in, and some pins fit more snugly than others...

The original question still stands....

Perhaps it's not the guide pins wearing, but the bracket bushings.

Edited by SleeperZ

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the 240SX websites. Those guys deal with 240SX rear caliper problems more than we do here.  If you decide to buy remanufactured calipers check them out carefully. I had problems with three 240SX rear calipers purchased from Napa. Two leaked around the seals as soon as they were installed and a third caliper had a seized piston right out of the box. I am now using Cardone remanufactured calipers and so far had no problems.