HybridZ

Turbo rebuilding...?

cygnusx1

I am deciding on weather to rebuild my turbo, buy a new one, or send it out to get rebuilt.

Is it very difficult to rebuild the center section of the T3/TO4B, non BB, non water cooled turbos? I have read some procedures, and it does not seem difficult. To me it seems like one of those things that might be easy to do, but easy to get wrong as well. Is a rebalance required after a center section rebuild?

The turbo is leaking minor oil but I don't think it's too far gone. I like the turbo and dont feel the need to upgrade at this point, so I am favoring the rebuild or "have it rebuilt" idea.

Does anyone have a shop they can recommend first hand that rebuilds turbos so I can get a quote?

Thanks!

I am deciding on weather to rebuild my turbo, buy a new one, or send it out to get rebuilt.

Is it very difficult to rebuild the center section of the T3/TO4B, non BB, non water cooled turbos? I have read some procedures, and it does not seem difficult. To me it seems like one of those things that might be easy to do, but easy to get wrong as well. Is a rebalance required after a center section rebuild?

The turbo is leaking minor oil but I don't think it's too far gone. I like the turbo and dont feel the need to upgrade at this point, so I am favoring the rebuild or "have it rebuilt" idea.

Does anyone have a shop they can recommend first hand that rebuilds turbos so I can get a quote?

Thanks!

I have done them before. Just mark the orientation of the wheels to the shaft, etc. Don't over torque anything and it will work out OK.

A re-balance is supposed to be done, but guys have been doing it without it (by marking the orientation) and they seem to do decently.

On one I did, I got a little carried away and torqued it past the mark and then backed it off to the right spot. It seemed balanced (SR20DET stock turbo that was leaking oil), but I noticed the CHRA play was a bit looser than a brand new one should be after I went a bit too far and loosened it again. It was still way tighter than it was, but I could have ended up with a tighter setup. Just go slow and check your progress. Be very sure to nail the mark dead on and go very slow when you are close to it.

Thanks for asking this question I also have a t3/t4 that I got from my brothers theres alot of sideplay. Earlier today I was researching turbo rebuilds and your right they dont seem that complicated. You know what we did turbo swap, head swaps, efi conversion and the most terrifying megasquirt (I still wont do a tranny rebuild :S) Rebuild kits range from 30-80 dollers whats the worst that can happen? if you mess it up you could always send it to a pro right? And theres the question of having it rebuild by a pro $$$$ or just forking a little more over for a either a new or slightly used unit. I will definatly by rebuilding that turbo I have.

The only thing I am stuck deciding is which turbo rebuild kits are suited for a t3/t4. While I was researching it seems that most kits give you extra parts with different sizes of bearings, seals and C clips to suit a wide range of turbos. Also where is your oil leak?