HybridZ

filler before or after rustseal/por-15?

adam78280z

Like the tittle says. I searched their site and can't find any clue. Just sand blasted my engine bay and have a couple pin holes and such. I want to seal them and fill them in.

Thanks!

Adam

I am not sure if body filler will adhere to POR15. You may have to see if you can spray a primer on top of the POR15. On the other hand, I seriously doubt that POR15 will like being applied to bondo.

Uh dont want to sound rude but you shouldnt use bondo at all. If you are going through all the trouble and keeping the car use resin with fiberglass strands in it. Much stronger than bondo and it totally seals. Bondo is very porous and sucks up moisture and WILL rust your car almost as fast as being tossed into the Pacific Ocean :-(

Good luck on your car! Make sure to post pictures for us all to see :)

Here's the order it should go if your going to do it with the por. Apply the por15 to the rust area. When the por is still tacky but not cured spray a coat of epoxy primer over the area. You know the por is ready if you touch it with your finger tip and no por transfers to your finger but still feels tacky. If you paint it too soon the por is still out gassing and it will bubble the primer. After the epoxy primer dries but withing it's cure period (or you have to scuff up the primer) use a resin based filler like duraglass to do the major filling. Sand the duraglass but don't go through the epoxy. If you do recoat. Now use bondo to feather out the repair. Now you can go to your high fill primer.

The epoxy primer is waterproof and that's the barrier between moisture and the metal.

At least that's how I did it!

Derek

Here's the order it should go if your going to do it with the por. Apply the por15 to the rust area. When the por is still tacky but not cured spray a coat of epoxy primer over the area. You know the por is ready if you touch it with your finger tip and no por transfers to your finger but still feels tacky. If you paint it too soon the por is still out gassing and it will bubble the primer. After the epoxy primer dries but withing it's cure period (or you have to scuff up the primer) use a resin based filler like duraglass to do the major filling. Sand the duraglass but don't go through the epoxy. If you do recoat. Now use bondo to feather out the repair. Now you can go to your high fill primer.

The epoxy primer is waterproof and that's the barrier between moisture and the metal.

At least that's how I did it!

Derek

Yeesh, body work is just that, WORK :ass::icon6:

I just went by the local paint supply place..... I think i'm going with a 2007 VW Magma Orange color : What do you guys think? Plz don't bash for the VW pic :)

DSC01627.jpg

Yeesh, body work is just that, WORK :ass::icon6:

I just went by the local paint supply place..... I think i'm going with a 2007 VW Magma Orange color : What do you guys think? Plz don't bash for the VW pic :)

DSC01627.jpg

I don't know what to think of it... maybe it's the lighting in the pic, but it almost looks like the original 240z orange, except... faded?