HybridZ

What is this diff?

lgoodson@pacbell.net

What is it? I am being told that it is out of a Annversary 300ZXTT maybe 95? He doesn't know. He says that the serial numbers indicate that it is a R230 but he says that it is a long nose and he advertised it as a R200 because that is what it looks like. He days that it is not a CLSD but it is a LSD. If you hold the drive shaft flange, you cannot turn the axle shafts but if you spin the driveline flange, the axles will turn in opposite directions.

I am trying to find a diff for my 240Z LT1. Will this one work?

I just found another whole subframe with a diff, axles and brakes out of a 95 300ZXTT if any one wants one. Let me know.

That makes two. They must be plentyfull.

Appreciate any help identifying the on in the pic.

Larry

3na3k83oa5T25P25R699n9423984b87a51814.jpg

• Administrators

That is a long nose R-200, it did NOT come from any of the '90-'96 300-ZX cars! the '90-'96 300-ZX recieved the short nose verartiy.

If that diff came out of a 300-ZX, it would've have been '84-'89. The LSD

was available in the '87 and '88 Turbo cars, ('89?). I think it was an option, not standard in the Turbo cars, except for the limited edition pearl white cars which it came standard and are quite rare.

Hope that helps,

Paul

He days that it is not a CLSD but it is a LSD. If you hold the drive shaft flange, you cannot turn the axle shafts but if you spin the driveline flange, the axles will turn in opposite directions.

Don't think so. spinning the pinion should make both side gears turn in the same direction no matter what kind of diff, open, CLSD, VLSD, HLSD.

Have the seller pull the cover and take a picture. Compare it to the pictures of the LSDs here. There is your answer.

your talking about the one on craigslist? that guy doesnt know what hes selling. if i recall his pic showed a older zx/z31 r200 longnose. he mentioned 300zxtt on his posting. false advertisement...all 300zxtt came with r230 and short nose. plus it has flanges on each side with 4 bolts like a zx r200. not even z31. assuming its the same one im talking about for sale in bay area ca.

That is a long nose R-200, it did NOT come from any of the '90-'96 300-ZX cars! the '90-'96 300-ZX recieved the short nose verartiy.

If that diff came out of a 300-ZX, it would've have been '84-'89. The LSD

was available in the '87 and '88 Turbo cars, ('89?). I think it was an option, not standard in the Turbo cars, except for the limited edition pearl white cars which it came standard and are quite rare.

Hope that helps,

Paul

All american turbo cars from 4/87 to 89. I've seen some Canadian 87's that have had an CLSD, and some that haven't (build date was after 4/87).

Shiro's (1988 special edition) came with a VLSD.

Piston:

One and the same. The picture to me did not look right either. It didn't look like a 95ZXTT and it did look like a open R200. He is suppose to send me the serial #'s so I can check with you guys or Nisson (not sure of the spelling)

Flash!! Just got an email from the guy. He sold it!!

The one in Dallas just sold on EBAY for $760 plus shipping. Too rich for my blood!

• 2 weeks later...
Piston:

One and the same. The picture to me did not look right either. It didn't look like a 95ZXTT and it did look like a open R200. He is suppose to send me the serial #'s so I can check with you guys or Nisson (not sure of the spelling)

Flash!! Just got an email from the guy. He sold it!!

The one in Dallas just sold on EBAY for $760 plus shipping. Too rich for my blood!

i just seen this thing back on craigs last weekend with the info corrected and up for sale again. lol...

i just seen this thing back on craigs last weekend with the info corrected and up for sale again. lol...

There does not appear to be anything special about that diff. Looks like a regular r200 2 pinion open differential.

And yes, spinning the pinion shaft will make both axles spin in the same direction no matter what diff. However, if it is an open diff, you can spin one AXLE and the other AXLE will spin in the opposite direction. That is most likely what would happen with that diff. As was mentioned, the only sure fire way to tell without axles is to pull the cover and look inside.

And yes again, any 300zx turbo from April of 87 all the way through 89 came with a CLSD EXCEPT the SS in 88. It came with the Vlsd.

I am actively looking for a clsd and have found a few but they range in price from 550 to 750 and that's for a pig in a poke if you know what I mean. Ran accross a 87zx today in the yard but it was not a turbo. Also saw a Q45

Not knowing what condition these diffs are in, I think 250 or 300 is more reasonable unless you can rebuild them your self.