HybridZ

My fuel pump died, should I go electric or mechanical?

FiveSeventyZee

As the title states, my fuel pump went out. I wasn't getting strong pressure out of it but now I'm getting nothing. I was wondering what would be better for my car in terms of performance? Would my fuel pump choice change anything? What about costwise? From what I have found electric seems to be cheaper mainly because they are universal.

But with an electric pump you'll probably need more hosing and have to purchase a regulator as was mentioned which will raise the price anyway. Not to mention then having to wire it up. You'd probably want a relay with it too. I'd say go with the mechanical, it'd be much easier and less headache even if it did come out slightly more expensive.

I hooked up an electric fuel pump and a regulator in my truck for around $60 total. The price difference between the two doesnt have to be huge. If you go to electric, make sure you get an oil pressure switch so it turns off if your engine dies or you get into an accident. I like electric because you can have a hidden switch to turn it on. If someone tries to steal your car, they might get a few blocks down the road with what's in the bowls before the engine dies and they need to ditch the car.

I would also question why the pump died. Are you sure you don't have a clogg in the fuel system? Maybe the pump did just die, going to elecric isn't as big of a deal as most are making it out to be. The wiring is simple.

This caught my eye because all I can say for sure is that it wasn't making a vacuum. I had a buddy come over and help me out, we pulled the fuel pump and we sprayed air through it. we refitted it and it was fixed. any ideas what it was? my best guess is something clogged but I have only been using a short length of fuel line and a filter before the pump.