HybridZ

Same side inlet & outlet end tank radiator

jakeoster

My personal theory is you don't need a thermostat to control the oil cooler this way since your coolant will heat up the oil to operating temp and pretty much hold it there so it sorta ties your normal tstat into the oil circuit. Obviously it will add some heat to the cooling system if you are running higher oil temps through the radiator (which has a cooler water temp) but thats why we bought a huge aluminum radiator because it can handle it lol

I always felt the same way too for city driving. But when you take the car through it's paces at the track and your water temp starts to go up, so does the oil temp, especially on Wide Open Throttle situations like a long back-straight.

So monitoring both temps the first time you go out should be the #1 concern. If all is well after a hard run at the track for a lengthy period, then you have nothing to worry about :-D

Regarding the aluminum thick core rads. They're awesome.

With my Z31 rad that was custom made under another member's supervision, I have never seen the gauge go over the middle bar on the digital dash. It went once, but that's because my fan blades zipped right off my fan motor and the motor was just free-spinning. After I fixed that, I never saw the gauge go over half. I even put it in 4th and ran on the high-way at something like 3,200 rpm for a minute or two straight to see if the temps would kick up a notch.

Oil temp went up a smidgen, and water temp stayed cool as can be.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

jakeoster, I too had a radiator a bit like yours ie cross flow with the intel and outlet on the other sides. However mine did not have the fan shroud like yours so I had a local fabricator here in Auckland, New Zealand, laser cut one up for me. At the same time I asked what could be done about the issue of now requiring both inlet and outlet on the same side of a cross flow radiator. Not a problem they just made it into a double pass - ie they split the side tank with the inlet/outlet.

• 2 weeks later...