HybridZ

oil cooler mod

stony

Here is a mod i did on my rx 7 a couple of years ago... the mod was to get twin stock oil cooler oil coolers. for those of you who dont know the rx7 turbo FC3S has one of the biggest oil coolers around.

first go to mazda trix and get the part number for the earls fittings they use in the braided line kit. the ones that connect to the oil cooler

b8-oil-2.jpg

mazdatrix

then get some braided hose , mount the oil cooler in the front somewhere and route the hoses to your engine and connect with whatever your engine uses to supply oil to oil cooler or a remote oil filter or whatever it works really good rockon.gif

I've got one of the coolers, just trying to figure out how I should mount it on my Z. I think the majority of my problem is the way I had to tilt my IC to make it fit.

If someone has pictures of the rx7 oil cooler mounted on their Z lemme see please.

FD3s started in 93 so it will probably be just before that. Most all of the rotaries will have at least one oil cooler, FD3 R models will have two of them but I dunno' how big they are. Chances are slim of finding one of them in the junk yard anyway ;)

Guest Thurem

If you guys are looking for a big oilcooler, check into the ones that are used on Suzuki GSX and GSX-R motorcycles GSX-r up to 92 and Katanas + bandits (GSX) up to present. They are about 8 by 14 inches single core, if memory serves me right. Can be had cheap at MC jy. Only ever had to replace one that was leaking from crashdamage (I'm a motorcycle mechanic.)