HybridZ

newbie questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've tried the search function and couldn't get the desired results, so basically I'm looking for a 240/260z and was wondering if you guys could kindly answer my queries :

1. Fuel consumption, some say 11mpg, others say 28mpg. My Z32 gets a best of 27mpg on highway and probably 23mpg city. If the 240/260z (stock) produces worst results, then I won't be able to afford it as I wanted to get one as my daily car and the Z32 as the weekend car.

2. Performance, actually I don't mind if its slower than the Z32, but when I do get a job, then what can I do to improve the reliability and fuel efficiency? I heard that some people have done a few minor things that had dramatically improved overall performance and efficiency (something like changing SU carbs).

3. Rusts and body maintenance, is washing the car twice a week too often? I hope to use the 240/260z as a daily car, which means 400km per week. I take care of all my cars, but then I don't want the car breaking down on me if it can't take it as an everyday car.

I know most of you guys are into powerstuff, I'm not at that level at the moment as I only want a car to drive around and later rework/rebuild it to perfection.

OK, hope to get some help from you guys/gals and thanks!!

Guest Anonymous

Welcome...My fuel injected Z's always got over 20 miles to the gallon and not over 25 Highway. Nothing wrong with washing a car daily if it dries off. A lot of states here are into this asinine tradition of putting salt on the highways in the winter for some notion that the roads do not get as slick. Eats cars up! This salt ing the highways is not practised on the west coast.

My 1970 240 always got around 25 mpg. Very livable.

There were two differnt carbs used on the early Z's. 70-72 used early SU's. 73 and up (to I think 75) used a later model of SU that was modified for emissions reasons. Somewhere around 1976 the American Z's went to fuel injection.

The 73-75 carbs are generally considered to be poor carbs. They tend to vapor lock when hot and just generally don't work well. The early SU's are very sweet carbs. They are a design that has been around forever, easy to tune and synchronize and simply don't have many vices. The only real draw back is the lack of a power valve makes cold weather starting a little (but only a little) more difficult. Thus people with the 73+ smog carbs often upgraded to the earlier carbs not so much for performance reasons but to make the cars more pleasant to drive.

I did end up replacing my SU's with dual downdraft Webers from Motor Sport Auto (MSA, an California based company specializing in mail order Z parts). I did this because my SU's developed vacuum leaks through the worn throttle shaft bushings. Rebuilding the SU's was going to cost just as much as the CA smog legal Webers so I figured I would give the down drafts a try. The Webers were slightly better performers (and probably have better upgrade potential given other performance mods), but if I had it to do all over again I would rebuild the SU's. They just look more at home under the hood.

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks!

Just to let you know, I don't know what is carb and what is an SU hahaha... I will ask my local friends about that.

But yeah does anybody know just what would be the rough guideline of fuel consumption of a 2 seater auto??

Thanks guys!