HybridZ

Radiator hose info for LS1 to Datsun radiator

I have used this forum big-time for all my swap info, and thought I would share the results of my research. I took the part numbers off the JCI fluids kit hoses, which appear to be Prestone part numbers, and crossed them to the other major brands. The upper requires a cut, and involves using the JTR tee that allows you to vent the steam lines from under the intake, if you have em. The lower uses a 1.5" dia hose at the thermostat housing, and a 1.375" at the radiator. You might be able to find a single hose that can do this, but I couldn't, including searching this forum. To splice the two lower, different diameter hoses together, I used some beaded aluminum connectors from Northern Cooling, http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/

I had a friend familiar with welding aluminum cut and weld the two pieces together to make this ugly but functional splice. They weld together nicely since the smaller dia fits tightly inside the larger dia. Then cut the two lower hoses as appropriate to fit your car. Part numbers are as follows. Upper hose, PN 82570, crosses to Dayco 71314, Gates 21588, Goodyear 61394. Lower hose to LS1 T-stat housing, 82825, crosses to Dayco 71380, Gates 21712, and Goodyear 61457. The other half that goes to the Datsun radiator is an original for the Datsun, Gates PN 20776. The two beaded tubes I bought from hrpworld.com and have PN's Z17632 (1.375") and Z17633 (1.5"). I used double ended ones so that I would have two chances to get it right, and sure enough, needed both. Below are pics of the pieces assembled. I hopes this helps some of y'all, if you're using the original Datsun radiator.

9-28-09 003_thumb.jpg

9-28-09 002_thumb.jpg

9-28-09 001_thumb.jpg

9-28 radiator connection_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheesepocket
Forgot a part number

Hi,

This is a shameless plug for JTR.

We recently purchased a cnc lathe and make transitional hose splicers. We have 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" splicers, 1-1/4" to 1-3/4", 1-5/16" to 1-9/16", 1-5/16 to 1-3/4." Cost is about $15, including shipping.

We can make the 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" splicer if we think there is a demand for it.

We also have a new splicer/Tee with a sight glass to help determine if the cooling system is purged of air, or having foaming problems.

These parts are not yet on the website, but BRAAP is suppose to be testing the sight glass. Since I don't know how to post photographs, maybe BRAAP can help.

I made a template out of coat hanger and took that with the datsun radiator hose and the LS engine hose to Advance Auto and searched through their inventory until I found one that fit perfectly with the correct ends. Had to trim one end a couple inches but otherwise fits perfect and is a single hose. Dont have the part number though.

Cameron

I am interested in the tee, how much?

The tee with the sight glass will probably be around $50, depending on whether or not you want an air bleed fitting.

The sight glass uses 1/2 npt fittings and is a steel/fused-glass style which is rated for 500 degree F, at over 1000 psi.

See this link for information on the sight glass:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sight-plugs/=3xh40d

We haven't decided on whether to use the sight glass with the reflector or without the reflector. I prefer the reflector, but it costs more, and some people may prefer the sight glass without the reflector.

The sight glass is oreinted on the side, and the bleed screw goes on top. If the sight glass is oriented to be on the top, there will always be a bubble of air.

If you don't want the air bleed screw, we can provide the tee without it.

The tee uses 1/8 npt fittings for the steam vent tube, but we haven't decided on the orientation for the steam tube fitting. Some people may want it on the bottom, and some may want it on the side.

If you want 1/4" npt or 3/8" npt, we can do that.

We have made a batch of these for 1-5/16 hoses, as well as transitional, which go from 1-5/16 to 1-9/16, and from 1-5/16 to 1-3/4.

If you have a suggestion for the orientation of the hose fittings, or want different sizes, we can make them. We recently purchased a new Haas cnc mill, so we can make these parts in house with very little lead time.

Also, we made a batch transitional hose splicers that go from 1-3/8" to 1-1/2."

Perhaps BRAAP can post a picture of the sight glass/tee I sent to him for his LSx project.

• Administrators

Mike, my apologies for not getting your pictures sooner. Here are the pictures of the JTR sight glass T.

I was supposed to install this a couple weeks ago for an evaluation, and still haven’t gotten around to it (slacking big time, again my apologies). I will try to install it soon and will post pics of it installed. :wink:

The T has the sight glass and 3 ports allowing for a bleeder as pictured and a dedicated line to the pressurized expansion tank most modern vehicles have started use for the cooling systems, or if you just need a small coolant line for any reason.

I also posted a picture of the LSx cooling system as well.

DSC_3447.jpg

DSC_3453.jpg

Sight glass, without metal baffle;

DSC_3454.jpg

DSC_3450.jpg

LSx cooling system;

LSxcoolingflow.jpg

• Administrators

Quick review of the JTR Sight Glass Splicer/Tee.

My ’91 Chev full size pickup is the test bed. Not utilizing a pressurized recovery tank, I just plugged the two 1/8” NPT ports. The upper radiator hose is the highest point in the cooling system so it always has some air in it. The radiator cap is just slightly higher than the thermostat and the coolant level seems to stay at least close to the rad cap so I have not really been concerned about it, though in a V-8Z where the radiator typically is not that high in relation to the T-stat, those air pockets can be and are an issue.

Any how, installed the "Slicer/Tee" in the upper hose, sight glass on the side, bleeder on the top. Didn’t have to drain any coolant as the upper hose was dry in this regions as it always it is, so just cut the hose and installed the Tee splice. fired up the engine, let it warm up. As the T-stat opened up, the coolant only filled the upper hose to about half way up the sight glass no more. Cracked open the bleeder, (remember, HOT coolant has been passing through it, so it is HOT, handle accordingly.) the coolant level in the sight glass immediately went up to the top as the bleeder burbled, then was solid coolant. Removed the cap and topped off the radiator, let it run a for a bit, shut it down.

Sight glass Tee is nice in that you can see at a glance, any time, if the system is adequately burped or not without having to warm up the engine and open a bleeder or the rad cap. victory.gif

Mike, this one is staying in my truck, I'm going to need at least one more now! wink.gif

Just installed;

Inst.jpg

operating temp;

Warm.jpg

Burping;

Burp.jpg

I can't seem to find these on their website. Anyone have a direct link? I'd rather use one of these and keep the splicer I made in the post above as a spare. Not nearly as nice as the JTR one.

Hi,

These are new parts, and they are not yet on the website. The price is $15. including shipping.

You can purchase them by calling 925-462-3619, or you can email greg@jagsthatrun.com