HybridZ

Do I need to reinforce?

I have a 1970 240Z and I am planning on going for a SBC 350 and a HP goal of ~300. I believe that puts the torque in the 350lb/ft range too. This is mostly going to be a daily driver with ~8" rear tires. It will also have 5spd manual, and R200 with some low gear ratio. I am very unlikely to ever visit the drag strip, but there will be plenty of times where I will be punching it pretty hard on the streets. So my question is.. do I need to do chassis reinforcements/new frame rails?

I can't seem to find any general guidelines, and I know there are a number of things to consider, so I hope I gave the important ones. I am hoping that I wont need them as there is no way I will be able to do the rotisserie route.

Flame me if you want, but I searched and browsed and couldnt find an answer to this question.. :rolleyesg

:) First, without seeing your car. Yes, I would strongley recommend some type of frame reinforcement. Bad Dog parts has some good frame replacements. You do not need a rotisserie to do it. It will not be easy to do without it, but you can do it. Good Luck, Rich. Also seam welding the whole car would help. Edited by RedNeckZ
add-on

no need for reinforcement when i had my lt1 t56 setup although it would be nice. it does flex and twist a bit on the low end but not enough to go outta control or maybe its just because i had open diff? reinforce frame rail is over kill for 300hp only. stock should be ok IMO.

:) First, without seeing your car. Yes, I would strongley recommend some type of frame reinforcement. Bad Dog parts has some good frame replacements. You do not need a rotisserie to do it. It will not be easy to do without it, but you can do it. Good Luck, Rich. Also seam welding the whole car would help.

well, on second thought, depends on the condition of the z. if your rails are all busted out and rust every where then maybe yes! reinforcement will be a good idea.

in that case, i dont think you would need rails and can get away with no cage for stiffening. however, as mentioned above, if you have the funds, make it happen because anyone can use a cage for safety. just get a good lsd diff to deliver power to the ground and you should be ok. i didnt have any problems with my old lt1 and im sure it was up in the 320+hp range. once it catches traction, its set...

Flame me if you want, but I searched and browsed and couldnt find an answer to this question.

You never will. HybridZ provides information so you can make your own decision. If you just want someone to tell you what to do, you've come to the wrong place.