HybridZ

Seat Belts and Harnesses

BLKMGK

John, thanks for that input. It'll be interesting designing a bracket to weld to the bar to make the eye bolt be in tension and not shear. But I agree that's what should be done.

I can't remember for sure, but OG Racing in Manassas VA has a picture of a BMW that was in an on-track "bump-bump" and it shows the windshield broken up pretty bad. I asked about it and they said that they use that picture to show people why brand X's racing harness should not be used. They explained that the belts give in the first "bump" and loosen the driver enough to let them move too much. It might have even failed on the second "bump". In other words, the belts gave the first time someone was thrown into the belts, but the second time they didn't do their job. I'm not certain, but I think Brand X was Scroth.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Dredging up a good thread to ask a related question. I have yet to get seats/harnesses. No dollars. I ended up buying a used belt to replace the burned one.

But, I'd like to get some new, not 30 year old, 3 point belts. Other than JCWhitney, anyone know a source? I really like the Datsun widw style with the multiple adjustments, etc. Saw a guy selling replacement webbing on Ebay, but then I'd have to go thru the hassle of finding a place to sew them up.

• 7 months later...

Someone mentioned you shouldn't use the rear strut bar to mount the should harness - is this right? I'll be using my 240Z for occasional street and autox duty and dont want two sets of belts. I was thinking of getting a Schroth Y and connect the shoulder to the strut bar but is this a bad idea? If so that means you cannot use a harness without a cage which I'm not ready to put in yet (ignore the agruement that a harness should not be used without a cage because you cannot duck or something). I want something street legal so dont want to use a Simpson belt. Should I just use the stock belts (which my car did not come with) and use one of my Simpsons harnesses for autox duty wrapped around the strut bar (since belts in autox are just there to keep you on place not really for crash protection)? Boy I dont want two sets of belts:(

Thanks

Cameron