HybridZ

unique N/A=> TT conversion

Calico

I was thinking of a unique N/A=TT conversion. I'm sure this idea of a cheap and simple conversion has been beat to death but, I was curious is anyone has ever used the Vg30det out of the Nissan cima, since the compression and internals would be right as its a turbo motor (and cheap). Then you could use the Vg30dett top end, intercoolers and possibly motor mounts. Retain the N/A wireharness and an N/A ecm (JWT as well as Nismo modifies them), bolt up the N/a tranny and retain the N/a driveshaft ect. This could be alot cheaper than the 40hrs and $10k it costs to swap over a twin turbo drivetrain. any thoughts since im brainstorming.

I read a million of these "buy ba twin turbo clip" Reply's. Thats not what i asked. I dont wanna buy a $5k twin turbo clip. $$$ wise its not worth it to me for a stock 300hp. For $5k ill continue building my turbo buick and be 10x faster. I understand if your tired of all the TT converion questions, but then why did you comment. My question was about using the vg30det block from a cima, using all your N/a vg30de parts as well as a few TT parts. Use the Vg30de intake manifolds (get them ported to match the vg30det heads), buy used stock TT throttle bodies, exhaust manifolds, turbos and injectors. could buy a aftermarket front mount intercooler(ebay if your cheap Stillen if your not) and then bolt up the n/a tranny (maybe replace the clutch while the engine is out), driveshaft ect. It would be no differant than swappin of TT manifolds to a high compression N/A block except we would finally have the missing component, the cheap low compression block. It seems it would be cheaper than a Vg30dett clip and not be the 40hrs of work that the TT swap requires. Hell we could even re-use the existing N/A or TT motor mounts, tranny mounts ect. i'm gonna check over at 300zxclub then im gonna give Z1 a call.

I read a million of these "buy ba twin turbo clip" Reply's. Thats not what i asked. I dont wanna buy a $5k twin turbo clip. $$$ wise its not worth it to me for a stock 300hp. For $5k ill continue building my turbo buick and be 10x faster. I understand if your tired of all the TT converion questions, but then why did you comment. My question was about using the vg30det block from a cima, using all your N/a vg30de parts as well as a few TT parts. Use the Vg30de intake manifolds (get them ported to match the vg30det heads), buy used stock TT throttle bodies, exhaust manifolds, turbos and injectors. could buy a aftermarket front mount intercooler(ebay if your cheap Stillen if your not) and then bolt up the n/a tranny (maybe replace the clutch while the engine is out), driveshaft ect. It would be no differant than swappin of TT manifolds to a high compression N/A block except we would finally have the missing component, the cheap low compression block. It seems it would be cheaper than a Vg30dett clip and not be the 40hrs of work that the TT swap requires. Hell we could even re-use the existing N/A or TT motor mounts, tranny mounts ect. i'm gonna check over at 300zxclub then im gonna give Z1 a call.

You would go through all that work to save like $300? also the reason the TT swap requires so much time, is that TT chassis are different up front then the N/A chassis, but dont come crying back, when z1 tells you to just buy one of their TT clips.

i just wanted some insight. I s/w john @ z1 and they had no info on the vg30det what so ever. I'm not trying to clone of replicate a TT z32. I want to bolt turbos on a N/A z32. I'm talking about retaining all your N/A stuff (ecm and wireharness included). I just plan on using the Vg30det long block instead of the vg30de long block. I'm gonna make up a parts list, just to see. also you mentioned some chassis differences, please shed some light and thanks for your input and help my friend =)

You would go through all that work to save like $300? also the reason the TT swap requires so much time, is that TT chassis are different up front then the N/A chassis, but dont come crying back, when z1 tells you to just buy one of their TT clips.

The TT chassis is the same with the exception of the Radiator mounts. NA Tranny, Driveshaft, Clutch/Flywheel (I wouldn't), ECU, Wiring Harness, can all be retained. The only things that have to be changed are Radiator, A/C condenser, chip program and the addition of the intercooler and piping to go along with the TT engine. You do not NEED a front clip but it is more cost effective to buy one.

As for Calico's plan, I believe the intake ports on the DET heads are different so you would be stuck with using the DET intake mani. I’ve never seen it done so I do not know if it will fit but NISSAN did a bunch of crazy stuff to make the DE and DETT intake fit under the hood and I doubt this mani would.

The DE and DETT blocks are identical with the DE having more desirable oil squirters for Forged pistons. If you do not want to buy a clip or complete engine just buy some forged pistons for $650 and have the motor rebuilt. Without touching anything else mechanical in the engine will be good for 650hp. The heads are comparable. I prefer the NA heads for velocity over volume (don't ask this always turns into an E-fight) but both flow great. DETT's had inconel exhaust valves but I wouldn’t worry about it. Cams, valve size, sensors, intake mani, crank, rods, Same. You would need bigger injectors and a Chipped ECU and of course all the Turbo hardware. If you use the J-spec downpipes you can even retain your NA mid-pipes.

Edited by Tibby
Bad grammar - ok grammar conversion.

With the stock bottom end, 740cc injectors, and careful tuning, there's a guy who's running GT28R turbos @13PSI on an NA motor. (search converTT on twinturbo.net)

If I remember correctly he blew the first one up... so emphasis on "CARFULL TUNNING"

On a serious note, the 10.5:1 compression leaves little to be desired in terms of peak power. Unless you’re trolling around on race gas you can't turn up the boost without some seriously efficient (big money) turbos. The first build peaked at about 350hp (7psi I think) with stock turbos. This new build with GT28RS's went to 13PSI but I do not believe that I have seen any dyno charts posted. Personally, I would sacrifice some spool to get the extra 10psi of grunt and power that come with it that those turbos are capable of.

The Turbos required to try this out would cost more then the front clip Calico was trying to avoid buying in the first place. Convertt's idea is not necessarily a bad one but it is far from the answer that is being sought in this post.

• 2 weeks later...