HybridZ

2jzgte single turbo conversion

MyLaDyZ

Theres guys running 450+whp with stock ecu..with a piggy back of course...however with stock boost most small singles will be ok with supporting mods.. bigger fuel pump, upgrade fuel pressure reg, Wide band..etc So no, you don't have to do any changes to the ECU.

got y'all i understand the minor upgrades

i was thinking like you'll need standalone

Well thats the way i understood the question, which is the reason i said none..I Guess mike took it the other way.... I do know to get full potential from a nice sized single, standalone is the way to go. But stock boost around 400whp is safe on stock ECU...Some go for more and exceed, but tunning becomes less safe with the stock Ecu as the power increases..

Thats when things like map ECU, SAFC...etc are pretty good tools to use...After that is full standalone for the 550-600whp guys...

If you are considering swapping a 2JZGTE, you aught to know what BPU is, etc. Get on the supra forums. It is covered a million times. An S-AFC goes quite a ways. A small single can be managed quite easily. I would do more if you want to put a T88 on, etc. Will all the money in a big turbo setup, you should be doing the whole package. The factory ECU is quite well designed and goes quite a ways.

Anyways, the entire modification route has been laid out well ahead of you.

IMHO, the mkiv supra powertrain costs so much because of the potential (big power top end, lots of stock bottom end capability, heavy trans). If you don't plan to make use of it (with big turbo/s and whatnot) you're really not taking advantage of the money you spent. The SR20DET is quite abundant, cheaper, lighter (to some degree, let's not get into that discussion), etc. But hey, if it's the engine ya want, it's all good. I've tuned SR's for customers and friends, but only owned the 2JZ myself, so I've nothing against it, for sure.

If you are considering swapping a 2JZGTE, you aught to know what BPU is, etc. Get on the supra forums. It is covered a million times. An S-AFC goes quite a ways. A small single can be managed quite easily. I would do more if you want to put a T88 on, etc. Will all the money in a big turbo setup, you should be doing the whole package. The factory ECU is quite well designed and goes quite a ways.

Anyways, the entire modification route has been laid out well ahead of you.

IMHO, the mkiv supra powertrain costs so much because of the potential (big power top end, lots of stock bottom end capability, heavy trans). If you don't plan to make use of it (with big turbo/s and whatnot) you're really not taking advantage of the money you spent. The SR20DET is quite abundant, cheaper, lighter (to some degree, let's not get into that discussion), etc. But hey, if it's the engine ya want, it's all good. I've tuned SR's for customers and friends, but only owned the 2JZ myself, so I've nothing against it, for sure.

Thanks for you input ill keep everything in mind, sr is the way im leaning towards, but the power of the 2j is to tempting.

I'm not trying to build a all out race car i just want a Daily Driver that has some good power so i can keep up with the newer gen cars evo, sti, s2, mustangs, m3 etc.

As everytime this question gets asked, it really depends on what you looking for. If you have a smaller budget and want to stay simple. The L28et can go a long way. The 2 motors your considering are in a complete different catagory. So first you need to figure out what YOU want and WHY?

Thanks for you input ill keep everything in mind, sr is the way im leaning towards, but the power of the 2j is to tempting.

I'm not trying to build a all out race car i just want a Daily Driver that has some good power so i can keep up with the newer gen cars evo, sti, s2, mustangs, m3 etc.

In that case a l28et would be great for those goals(like already said)...A s30 with a strong 300whp will run in the 12's with a good driver..Plus i think the l28 could hold that type of power with a stock rebuild, so you save money going that route. turbo 280z can be had for pennys if you look hard enough, would make a great donar car..

I'm not really interested in the l28,

i know all these question have been ask wat is better, this and that , I've read lots of these fourms, I just wanted to see wat requirements were needed for a single t swap .

Thank you for all your inputs it did make me rethink some routes I was going to take

• 2 weeks later...

If you 'gotta' have the 'big supra power', go with a 1JZ from a jdm mkiii supra or soarer. It's 2.5 so it can rev pretty nicely. I guess you'd say it a compromise in cost, power, etc. between the 2JZGTE and the SR20DET. Lots of parts swap with the 2J and it makes good power. Honestly, I was on the fence between the 1J and RB25. The RB is just 'teh sexiness' in sound (like a naughty L28) but the 1J just makes retarded power for what you've done. Once you get past boost cut and fuel limitations, it pulls away from the RB25. The SR is no match in that aspect. Cost is pretty much the same for a 1J.

• 5 weeks later...

Just by reading about your wanting a daily drive i would REALLY consider a L28et. IT will BOLT in... you put big injectors, big turbo,maybe cams/intercoolers....you will pull from an SR at half the price AND half the difficulty scale. Parts will be cheaper and easier to get your hands on... your car will be down for HALF the time and you can drive it to work.

There will be a 'change' to the ECU for about any car with mods like you guys are discussing. Likewise, an L28Et will require some substantial stuff to deal with injectors, turbo, cam, etc. IMHO, an SR20DET is a good choice since you get newer EFI tech, you can buy stuff to bolt the stupid thing in, etc. Mod parts and factory service parts are pretty cheap for an SR.

L28et will pull on a sr20?

that sounds good but now i have to find a l28, i was thinking the other day about rebuilding my l24 boring it out and you kno forge rod, pistons, get a good head.

With the appropriate alterations, a ford focus will pull on a corvette. The L is not a focus compared to the SR, however. Start with an L28ET (and not an L24) and save yourself a ton of money.

With the appropriate alterations, a ford focus will pull on a corvette. The L is not a focus compared to the SR, however. Start with an L28ET (and not an L24) and save yourself a ton of money.

that is true my friends eg hatch pulls on corvettes on the freeway, ill see and looking around for a l28 block