HybridZ

I just want to know

Guest Westaway

Guest Westaway

I know theres threads like this posted all around but they cant just keep it SIMPLE.

I just wanna know a few things...

Up till a few days ago i was under the impression that you could just drop a 350 small block chevy into the engine compartment of a DATSUN Z CAR. and that it would line up with the STOCK 4-5 spd transmission with ease. is that true???or do u have to buy a v8 conversion kit or bolt in kit or V8 mounts or whatever to do that...? Can you USE the stock transmission...in my case a 4spd out of a 280z...i really do not care if u recommend a 5 or 6 speed out of a camaro or corvette...im on a tight budget and a datsun z with a 4spd is all i can afford... i can barely afford the LT1 i wanna drop in it. i was told that as long as its not a fancy LSx engine...that u dont have to buy any sort of V8 engine mount or stuff like that.

All i want to do.....is take the stock Z...and put an LT1 350 in it... without buying any KITS to do it.. IS THAT POSSIBLE...?

Sorry that im coming across angry..its just ive been looking EVERYwhere..im tired of searching for this topic and not finding anything.

any help would be appreciated..thanks.

I'm mid-way through a LT1/T56 swap into a '77 Z and have spent over $3,000 on engine prep and various parts (I've owned the car for over 10 years). This is not much compared to what you could spend. It is a major undertaking in time and money. It is my thought based on you writing your budget is tight and your lack of information at this point, this is not something you want to tackle before your budget becomes larger and you've had time to do more research.

Check out Jags That Run. Google it. They've got a nice swap guide. It is worth the money and will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck!

Edited by ekiernan
Clarification

If you are on such a budget that you can't afford a new transmission to match your engine, you probably should look at other options. You can make very respectable power with the L-series motor that is already in your car. Use the money for small improvements on the engine as well as suspension and enjoy actually driving your car rather than spending all your money on an incomplete motor swap.

tight budget and V8 conversion don't belong in the same sentence. And no you can't just bolt a v8 to a z trans.

the biggest bang for the buck for an old z is a turbo. Very easy to do, as there is not much modification because the engine, trans, driveshaft, cooling system, shifter, and wiring already fits.

for the cost of a Lt1, I sure you could add a turbo to your engine.