HybridZ

Help un-sticking injector

abes

I took my fuel rail apart yesterday to check the injectors and one of them is stuck open. Ive tried cleaning with carb cleaner, tapping it a hammer and switching on and off w/ 12v, but no luck.

Anyone know of a quick fix??

Thanks..

If the car sits for a long time without running, like mine has in the past between rebuilds, the injectors can get stuck.

This is the way I have done it and it has worked for me both times I've tried it:

With the fuel rail and injectors on the engine, determine which injectors are working (opening & closing) and which are not. You can do this by having someone crank the engine while you listen to each injector with a stethoscope: you should hear a distinct "ticking" sound: disconnect the spark plug wires before you do this. Now, disconnect all injector connectors except for one that is stuck. Again, have someone crank the motor, and while cranking, use a small hammer with a rachet extension to tap the body of the injector. Give it a few taps and then listen with the stethoscope. Repeat until the injector is unstuck/opening and closing (producing that distinct ticking sound). Now go on to the next stuck injector ...

This assumes that the ECU is sending a signal to the ingectors. You can check this as well by connecting a known working injector (without the fuel line attached) to each connector and crank the engine.

Another alternative to this is to have your injectors cleaned/serviced and flow checked by a fuel injection service facility. I would try any or all of the above before purchasing new injectors.

This is probably more information than you cared to know, but if it doesn't help you, maybe it can help someone down the road.