HybridZ

MSA metal headgasket opinions

softopz

I blew my headgasket, I was using a felpro that blocked off atleast 6 water ports its meant for the l28et I just dont get that anyways. Since I got the head out I was thinking of doing a mild port job and a 2mm headgasket to lower the compression a bit. Since HKS doesnt make the MLS gasket I was looking around and wanting some opinions of the MSA headgasket. Anyone run them? Who is making them for MSA? thanks in advance

Besides a light resurfacing to make it true what else needs to be prepared to run a MLS gasket?

I know a copper gaskets requiring O-ringing thats what steered me from that route. I havent heard of anything for a MLS. I ended up going with a ishino gasket will see how that turns out. I hope they dont block the ports like the felpro.

I was using a felpro that blocked off atleast 6 water ports its meant for the l28et
You didn't say which block and head you are using. I just used a felpro and before installing compared it to the original factory turbo HG and there were no holes plugged. This was a P54 / P90 build. I've also used Felpro on several other L28 builds with N42 blocks and a variety of heads and never had a problem with a blocked water port.

I believe there are 2 part numbers from Felpro for all the Zs now. I used the #8799 this last build which is spec'd for all Zs 81-83 both turbo and NA. There is another part for earlier, although I'm pretty sure I've always used the 8799 even with an N42 head on N42 block.

I'm not pushing you towards Felpro, just suggesting that maybe you have something else going on here. Might be worth picking up the part number that you DIDN'T use last time and see if you're ok on the water ports.

l28et f54 block p90 head here are the part numbers for reference use. I actually have 2 headgasket sets (so I still have a brand new one which I might not going to use cause it blcoks ports) one came from the guy who dissambled, cleaned , installed valvestems, adjusted valves etc... and the other came with the engine kit I got rings, pistons, chain etc... both are 8799 Zmanco I dont know if you really had a stock headgasket to compare to or a p90 head. You say you compared to the gasket you had at the time , How do you know that was stock and you didnt compare it to the head... maybe thats why. I ll take pictures if your still skeptical...

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I didn't mean to say that no ports were blocked, rather that the holes in the gaskets were all in the same places for both. In other words, for every passage between the block and head, if the factory gasket had a hole, the Felpro did too.

The engine I bought had been pulled from a stolen and wrecked 82 turbo with less than 100 miles. It had been stored for 27 years.