HybridZ

Engine Run Stands using old X-Menbers and Bell Housings

Guest Rolling Parts

Guest Rolling Parts

Non tech, but thanks to TonyD for the suggestion to use an auto bell housing when building an engine run stand. It works great. VERY easy to do the leak checks and hot valve adjusts before making engine swaps.

Edit: 6 gallon water tank added just after pic. Amazing how fast water does flow to/from the engine!

picture.php?albumid=213&pictureid=1519

Guest Rolling Parts

Well, again album pictures hosted on this site are not showing up? Interesting.

Let's try both the image and the link and see which one works:

Picture URL picture.php?albumid=213&pictureid=1519

and now the BB Code:

picture.php?albumid=213&pictureid=1519

Guest Rolling Parts

I see pics in every post.

Well, I guess the Admins have something not right if I can see them and no one else can. I selected "public" album and posted pics in the past. Maybe they jacked with more than changing my name from "member" on my account? Who knows.

Well, I don't care to troubleshoot further; it's a problem inside the site (since I did not use outside hosting).

Automatic Bellhousings are good for something other than scrap!

If you are inclined to run a hydraulic throwout bearing, they may work as a manual transmission donor as well, and they're far more obtainable than T5 or A-Box Detachable Bellhousings...

Guest Rolling Parts

Yea, mods can see, others can't. Some rights problem on the site here I guess?

TonyD Suggested the auto because I did not want the length and weight of a full tranny on the run stand. The auto tranny has a removable bell housing. That means I can mount a starter on the front of it and use the rear boltholes to fab up a rear mount. Very light and compact. Great suggestion!

Add some switches, battery, fuel pump and you have a rolling run stand. Easy to make, easy to test and fix leaks and adjust hot valves before installing. I just installed that engine yesterday in just a few hours and everything worked right from the start. No surprises and hardly any downtime!

The old engine I pulled went on my old trusty angle-iron fixture/skid so I can carry it easily let it stand around intact till I get around to rebuilding it next. I just use a furniture dolly under it if I need to roll it around the garage...

stand.jpg

Old2.jpg

• Administrators
Maybe they jacked with more than changing my name from "member" on my account? Who knows.

Well, I don't care to troubleshoot further; it's a problem inside the site (since I did not use outside hosting).

Nope, we didn't "jack" with your account. You'd know if we did. :wink:

Yea, mods can see, others can't. Some rights problem on the site here I guess?.

Looking into this further. :wink:

Edited by BRAAP
I was wrong!

Guest Rolling Parts
Raise the engine up a couple feet, mount a prop on the flywheel flange of the crank, (constant speed prop would be cool), a quick and dirty rudder and ride it around the flight line! :2thumbs:

Well,

Stranger things have rolled out of the east hangers in the last few years!

This veteran engine is spoken for; when I'm through rebuilding it then it will go in a 1930's style inboard runabout boat project that's also getting underway this winter. Shoud be plenty powerful enough for slalom skiing next summer.

New engine went in great and runs well.

Ahhh... nothing is better than the smell of new paint on a fresh engine in a Z.

NewEngine.jpg

A Datsun in a Motorboat? Say it ain't so!

Check out a search for a small Hydro that ran in the UNlimited 2.5L Class called the 'Sho Nuff'...especially if you can get video clips. I can't link any now due to sucky internet. You should pull a ski fine!

Guest Rolling Parts

Thanks again TonyD !

I found their site at:

http://www.johnshewbrooksracing.com/Racing_Resume.htm

A work buddy heard that I was starting the project and gave a stack of magazines this morning that are chocked full of construction techniques for how to go about building traditional boats. Enough info to get me started sniffing around the lumber yards this weekend.

It's gonna be strange to build something as indelicate as a boat this winter. I'm so used to aircraft and sports car construction that boats seem rather odd to consider skin thicknesses in the range of 3/4 inch! :)