HybridZ

What do you guys think of this Air Compressor?

Boobala

Guest Anonymous

Looks pretty good, plenty beefy enough to run air tools, wish I had bought a stand up style, sure take up less room thats for sure.

Regards,

Lone

Wow that thing is beefy, 19.5 CFM @ 100 PSI. :eek: It will definetly handle anything you can throw at it. I thought I did good scoring a 6 HP 60 Gal with 10.2 CFM @ 90 PSI. It was two years old and I paid $200 for it.

Guest Anonymous

I don't currently have provision for a 230 volt power source. I haven't found a decent 120 volt unit to plug into the wall. What would be the minimum cfm@xpsi to run.. say an hvlp paint gun.I'm looking to do some basic stuff with air tools.. sand blast parts, impact wrench, die grinder, hvlp. The biggest 120 volt unit I've found was a 33 gal 6hp craftsman at sears, put out I think 9cfm@100psi, max 130psi. Would this work? There are a few 60 gal units for auction in oregon that I might bid on, but I'm not sure about the 230 volt power source.

-980mak rockon.gif

I know little of Air compressors. What I do know I learned from friends that own them. The things they have told to look for were...

1. AVOID oil-less compressors. They don't last under heavy usage (Sanding, grinding, painting)

2. If you plan to do a lot of Sanding, painting, get a large capacity tank. (80 gal or more)

3. AVOID Single stage pumps. (I forget why)

The biggest difference between 115v and 230v units is the Horse Power of the motor.

I think 3.5hp is the most you'll get out of 115 volts.

What doe this mean? I think it means two things...

1. It will take longer for your tank to get up to pressure.

2. The compressor will run at higher RPM. (More noise, more wear and tear, etc...)

Any way, thanks for feedback on the compressor above. I've just about convinced myself to buy it. The only problem I have with it is the shipping charges. Almost $200.00!

Guest Anonymous

I am not impressed.Hopefully our painting members can comment on this unit. It is not a two stage unit and that price range is for a high quality two stage which is able to pump more air and higher pressure air into the tank thru 2 pump cylinders ( pimary pump that feeds a secondary pump..Kinda like diesel engine quality)I have had for years a 5 hp single stage vertical 60 gallon tank that has a 3450 RPM motor that I reduced the pulley so it would turn the pump slower since it was putting quick and hard miles on the whole system.I can just barely out work the system using air tools but air tools are about an expensive way to work but the results are fast.I would imagine the 1725 RPM motor is turniing one big pulley to get that much air pumped.5 HP is just going to pump just so much unless it is geared by pulleys to turn the guts out of a pump and place premature wear on everything .. $1000.00 will get you a top of the line two stage unit just about anywhere locally and $500.00 will get you one like mine than can be slowed down to last for years. And do about anything that you would ever want.The shipping will kill you.Do not ever consider running 5 HP on anything less 6than 220 Volts.

Originally posted by FL327:

what a hick.

weird.gif

These are the best I could find for the same or lower price.

Champion Model No. 6.5V80E $882.00

Craftsman Professional 80 gal. Air Compressor $850.00 (Sears)

Ingersoll-Rand 60 gal. Air Compressor, 5 hp, Vertical Tank, 2-Stage Pump $1000.00 (Sears)

Campbell Hausfeld Model: HS7815 $800.00

Porter-Cable 7 HP 80 Gallon 2-Stage Oil Lube Air Compressor $794.00

And none of them match the CFM @ PSI rating of the

unit above. And this is true of most of the two stage units I looked at.

What is the advantage of a two stage over a single stage?

P.S. I'm an aircraft mechanic (A&P) by trade, so I have lots of air tools, but no compressor.

Originally posted by FL327:

what a hick.

Len, you had better amend what you just said--that was a pic of one of our members with the air-compressor...

You'll be getting an email from me shortly.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

So looks like if that's what I'd be paying to get a good unit + the installation of a 220v electrical line by an electrician confused2.gif , I had better forego doing my own bodywork on the 240. I thought it would be a good project but I could probably have friends in the business do the whole thing for less than that, custom work too. I'll keep my eye out for deals and post some numbers for approval. Plus I don't think I could fit a monster like that in my garage until I get my motor off the stand. Who you callin hick, city slicker? tongue.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

Couple of things.

1) Having been born in Nebraska I have to say "What a hick" may or may not be a put down depending upon your state of mind.

2) I have also heard bad things about oilless compressors and won't own one either.

3) I have a 5 HP, 2 cylinder compressor (don't know whether it is single or 2 stage) that does everything I need. Most car magazines use to recommend this as the minimum HP level for a home shop, but recently they seem to be more in the 6 HP range.

4) Run away screaming if someone tells you they have a 120 volt, 5 HP motor. 220 is an unfortunate fact of life at such HP levels.

5) It is very easy to mount your compressor in the rafters/trusses of the garage with a switch/breaker at ground level and run air lines throughout the garage. PVC pipe is rated at 30 PSI. Just make sure you hook a section or air hose to the drain so you can drain the moisture from the tank while at ground level.

6) $1000 will buy you one hell of a compressor from Harbor Freight tools and at that price shipping is usually free.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=60913

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33993

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33748

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35119

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5730

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44675

Thanks for the links Jim Powers. I completely forgot about HarborFreight. I'll take a look

at them.

I kind'a like this one:

Does anybody know anything about Puma air compressors?

As for the "Hick" remark, I think he may have been referring the gentleman in the photograph above.

I believe the guy is an employee of "Eaton Compressor & Fabrication."

Guest Anonymous

980 Mak: I ran a Sears 2 HP 30 gallon horizontal tank on 120 volt for years and finally ran the guts out of it by neglect and overuse.. Great service for the first few years.The "vertical" tank allows the crap to settle to the bottom while the horizontal tank blows it out and the average filter does not trap it all or gets plugged..The Sears unit was still producing but the pump was blowing oil into the compressed air and was shutting itself off from overheating (thermal protection). Great oil supply for lubricating air tools but terrible for painting.Also there are "direct drive motors" to compressor pumps that do away with the inefficency of the belt drives. A little 2 HP,120Volt direct drive single stage pump mounted on a vertical tank would be ideal for the home shop. On my 5 HP double capacitor start, I use a 220 volt extension cord (big time wire that is rated more in amps than the 5 hp will draw and in this way I can move the compressor out of the shop if I ever do any painting in there (compressor and paint do not mix and can go boom). Also I can move the compressor by hand truck to the House and run it off the dryer (30 amp) or stove (40 amp) electrical outlet with the extension cord since the 5 HP Ingersol Rand motor draws 18 AMP while running and at least 25-30 Amps to kick over.Also it is very important to run a thermal protected motor that will shut itself off when overheated. If the fellow pictured is a hick, he sure is someone I would welcome as help if my back was to the wall and he looks like he is not afraid of hard work. Nothing wrong with being a hick. I am a redneck,hillbilly,hick with a Master's Degree.Boobala: I would be more impressed with the 2 stage Puma and as usual it is most likely a combination of "world manufactured parts" My "Ingersol Rand" was manufactured by whoever purchased the right to use the name "Ingersol Rand"

Originally posted by Boobala:

Thanks for the links Jim Powers. I completely forgot about HarborFreight. I'll take a look

at them.

I kind'a like this one:

Be careful of harborfreight. I purchased a work bench on Feb 29, 2002. I got it three weeks later. It was missing all the drawer rails ugg.gif . I finally got a tracking number from the manager Wednesday July 3, the same day they sent it out. He said they shipped it next day. I didn't see it Friday.

I called almost everyweek. They wouldn't give me the CEO's number or email. They wouldn't give me there managers number or email. They would either put me on hold and misterously hang up or say give it three weeks to arrive cuss.gif . Just wanted to share my nightmare with Harbor Freight. Hopefully there's a local shop in your area.

Good Luck on your search and remember you usually get what you pay for. Make sure to do the research on the model before buying it.