HybridZ

bare with me here.....(spaceships)

hoov100

Say the new Stirling radioisotope generators prove reliable and need limited maintenance. Now also say that they could generate enough juice to power a life support system and an engine, also you could use solar energy to charge gel battery's built into the walls, which would provide juice for navigation, communications, aux. life support, lighting..etc. Now granted it wouldn't be a small ship or even a fast ship, but it would be enough to land someone on one of Saturns moons and start the terraform process. For the crew, you could start with a group of infants, given up by their parents, to be trained for the sole purpose of flying to another planet or moon. As screwed up as that sounds, it would actually work out quit nicely. Anyone still fallowing me?

(also you would most likely have to assemble/build the ship in space or on the moon.)

I just have a love of airplanes, space craft and the technology/science that goes into them. the only thing where missing is a good engine, we would need like a sbc equivalent of an engine for space flight, Think we could control a nuclear or hydrogen blast, to push us? Also for artificial gravity could we just spin the ship fast enough to create it, like they proposed for the manned trip to mars?

Definitely a novel idea, but the possibility of something like that happening anytime soon, much less from the US, is pretty small. I imagine there won't be too many major strides made in space travel until there's a commercial drive for the industry. It seems that all the government is really interested in has been research satellites. Not to mention the media's need to sensationalize everything means that anything that puts a person in danger, especially babies, would have all sorts of retards up in arms against your plan. Plus all those morons that think that spending money on space rather than giving food to some kid in Africa or India.... ok, I need to stop and calm down.

I think that we would be most successful for the time being sending out automated vessels designed to create and harvest some basic necessities in preparation of a manned mission.

But I think your idea is cool, even though I have some reservations as to the practicality and the general purpose of terraforming one of Saturn's moons.

Definitely a novel idea, but the possibility of something like that happening anytime soon, much less from the US, is pretty small. I imagine there won't be too many major strides made in space travel until there's a commercial drive for the industry. It seems that all the government is really interested in has been research satellites. Not to mention the media's need to sensationalize everything means that anything that puts a person in danger, especially babies, would have all sorts of retards up in arms against your plan. Plus all those morons that think that spending money on space rather than giving food to some kid in Africa or India.... ok, I need to stop and calm down.

I think that we would be most successful for the time being sending out automated vessels designed to create and harvest some basic necessities in preparation of a manned mission.

But I think your idea is cool, even though I have some reservations as to the practicality and the general purpose of terraforming one of Saturn's moons.

this wouldnt be possible for another 100 years or so anyway. as for the child/human rights activists throwing a fit, their would be nothing they could do, as the parents would rightfully have given their children up for the purpose of creating a brighter future for man kind. and the kids would be in their 20's or possibly 30's by the time they are actually called upon. I think this is exactly what the economy and the world needs, another technology race to develop space travel.

I think that space travel is in severe need of an infrastructure. Our current method of launching satellites into orbit and sending astronauts to service them is pretty 1950s in the area of civic planning. What I'd like to see is an orbital station that is designed for the production and maintenance of orbital vehicles, which could also act as a stepping stone to another station, farther out in orbit that would be our inter-planetary vehicle launch station. This would alleviate a lot of the difficulties we're having in trying to design the 'swiss army knife' space vehicle, and we could focus on creating specialized and efficient transportation.

this wouldnt be possible for another 100 years or so anyway. as for the child/human rights activists throwing a fit, their would be nothing they could do, as the parents would rightfully have given their children up for the purpose of creating a brighter future for man kind. and the kids would be in their 20's or possibly 30's by the time they are actually called upon. I think this is exactly what the economy and the world needs, another technology race to develop space travel.

Ok, well that gives me a better understanding of your plan. I thought you were suggesting sending infants into space and frankly that's insane.

I think that space travel is in severe need of an infrastructure. Our current method of launching satellites into orbit and sending astronauts to service them is pretty 1950s in the area of civic planning. What I'd like to see is an orbital station that is designed for the production and maintenance of orbital vehicles, which could also act as a stepping stone to another station, farther out in orbit that would be our inter-planetary vehicle launch station. This would alleviate a lot of the difficulties we're having in trying to design the 'swiss army knife' space vehicle, and we could focus on creating specialized and efficient transportation.

The problem with that, would be. how would you get the materials into space to build them? where would you build them? how would you get supplies to them? how would you sustain a human crew living in captivity for extended periods without getting cabin fever? also I'm sure if their was a better way I'm sure they would be using it.

The problem with that, would be. how would you get the materials into space to build them? where would you build them? how would you get supplies to them? how would you sustain a human crew living in captivity for extended periods without getting cabin fever? also I'm sure if their was a better way I'm sure they would be using it.

You'd get the materials into space the same way that we get materials into space right now, we'd have to use the current inefficient model in order to create the structure for an efficient model.

As far as cabin fever, I've spent about 90 days out to sea stuck in a damn ship with no port calls, living in a shared berthing where my private space is about the size of a large coffin. With "comfortable" living spaces, small amounts of privacy, and a good internet connection it would be easy to spend 3-6 months in space, the biggest hurdle for a healthy crew would be living in low gravity. This could be handled by creating a large rotating cylindrical station where the berthing/everyday activities are on the outer walls while all the 'heavy' lifting could be done in the center which would still be a low gravity area.

As far as location I'd put the maintenance/cleanup about 1,000 miles out, the launch station about 48,000 miles out.

Edited by killaimdie
forgot locations.

You'd get the materials into space the same way that we get materials into space right now, we'd have to use the current inefficient model in order to create the structure for an efficient model.

As far as cabin fever, I've spent about 90 days out to sea stuck in a damn ship with no port calls, living in a shared berthing where my private space is about the size of a large coffin. With "comfortable" living spaces, small amounts of privacy, and a good internet connection it would be easy to spend 3-6 months in space, the biggest hurdle for a healthy crew would be living in low gravity. This could be handled by creating a large rotating cylindrical station where the berthing/everyday activities are on the outer walls while all the 'heavy' lifting could be done in the center which would still be a low gravity area.

As far as location I'd put the maintenance/cleanup about 1,000 miles out, the launch station about 48,000 miles out.

but in space you would have to stay their years, or until a shuttle system is developed to switch people out.

but in space you would have to stay their years, or until a shuttle system is developed to switch people out.

that entirely depends on where you're going.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2811.html

as a submariner, I can tell you, I could do 130 standing on my head, and the tech exists to do it today, from a material and logistical standpoint.

Build me a ship the size of a 4 bedroom two story home, and I can get you 20 men on mars in 5 months.

But you have to push it there.

Maybe something involving the Oberth manuever..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberth_effect

Val

Mmmmmmmm..... Plasma engines.

I almost forgot about those,:eek: alright, so with the proper training we can sustain long periods of time in confined spaces. Think we could send container satellites orbiting the planets along the route, so that we would be able re supply at every planet?

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but how does the Human body survive in a zero g environment for a lifetime, or to the completion of the trip? I mean the craft can spin to create a centrifugal force, but is that the only solution?

I will die, saying that "wireless power transmission" is the next BIG evolutionary development. I think that is the hurdle. Either that or extremely compact portable power....yeah I know Nuclear...but I mean BETTER than that by far.

The closest I have seen is those lasers that lift an object into the sky...I saw it demonstrated about 10 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

Here is a newer development:

http://www.physorg.com/news6247.html

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but how does the Human body survive in a zero g environment for a lifetime, or to the completion of the trip? I mean the craft can spin to create a centrifugal force, but is that the only solution?

unless you wanna invent a gravity system, then yes. you can live in a zero-g environment, you just become really weak, thus the need to work out the muscles through a friction based gym. wireless power transmission would be bad ass, if you could control it.

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but how does the Human body survive in a zero g environment for a lifetime....

Some theorize that after a several year adjustment period, humans would live longer due to the lessened stressors on the body...

wireless power transmission would be bad ass, if you could control it.

from this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Power_Satellite

Some theorize that after a several year adjustment period, humans would live longer due to the lessened stressors on the body...

from this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Power_Satellite

If you combined that with low calorie nutrient dense food, I'm sure you could live to the 100 year mark as long as you dont develop a mental disorder or die... alright, so i was thinking on the engines last night, what about using a long range plasma rocket, to pull the craft up to velocity, then use the oberth maneuver to slingshot you from planet to planet?