HybridZ

1989 camaro 5speed. which t5?

FiveSeventyZee

my engine ame from an 89 camaro (a 350 acording to last owner) an it ha a t5 in it. I need to change the oil in it and whether I use gear oil or ATF depends on if I have the normal t5 or the world class t5.

if it really is a 350 (5.7) then it would be out of an 89 IROC if that helps.

and I did search but I haven't found anything on t5 vs WCt5

Do you have the trans out? If you do look at the front layshaft bearing, it's visible from the front of the transmission just below and to the left of the imput shaft. If it has "timkin" written around the outside, it's a WCT5

There should be a metal tag attached the transmission that has some numbers on it.

Punch the numbers on that tag into the field at the bottom of the page linked above and it'll tell you the application the transmission came from and whether it's a WC or not.

If you don't trust the numbers or can't find the tag then you could try pulling the shifter to look at the fluid you find inside, or simply drain the fluid, it'll be obvious if it's gear oil or ATF. ATF is a red color where gear oil is brown. Another option to determine the fluid type is to pull the speedo cable drive, some fluid should drip out, looking at it will tell you the type.

Hope that helps.

I remember the research, IIRC the 5 speed only came with the 305 engines. The 350 engines were all mated to automatics. The decision by GM was that the 350 produced too much torque for the lightweight WCT5. All of the t5s mated to 305 v8s were WCT5s. Does that mean you have a WCT5? No but there are plenty of easy to find online resources to determine which one you have.

I would not trust tags, Do not trust fluid type, The only way to tell for sure is by looking at the bearing caps between the bellhousing and the tranny front plate. The likelyhood of finding a good condition WCT5 is low. If the PO has used the wrong tranny fluid then the synchro cones will have deteriorated, the needle bearings may be scored, and other damage can ensue.