HybridZ

fuel line routing

Hey Guys, am running a larger fuel line from front to back and have never been happy with how my fuel line enters the engine bay. Any body got any cool idea? I don't like the stock location as it is to close to my header for my comfort. Just plan on running a hard line, not steel braided hose.

thanks

Jeff

obviously when your talking about routing fuel lines, keeping them out of the passenger compartment , away from heat and shielded from potential impact damage as much as possible should be your prime concerns, use of rubber grommets,at reasonably close spacing to maintain support or clamps with rubber friction coatings are preferred.

the frequently over looked factor is the fittings and connections, they should be as few as possible, and carefully selected,as internal size and flow characteristics on many fittings will significantly restrict flow, and the in the tank sump pick-up and fuel line connections to the fuel pump and fuel filter and fuel pressure regulators will need to be taken into account, and a fuel cell will usually be the preferred route on a true performance application.

on cars with frames its not uncommon to run fuel lines either along the inside lower surface or thru the frame rails, and place the fuel pump in an accessible location between the frame rail and tank, then run the fuel line forward and have it come up near the passenger side front frame rail, near the front of the engine, flex lines are normally limited to a short section near the carbs fuel manifold.If headers or electrical connections run too close the lines frequently get routed from the inside lower frame rail surface to the upper inside top surface of the forward frame rails or up along the firewall, then forward near the engines intake manifold, SFI rated flywheels/clutches and LAKEWOOD explosion proof bell housings are a very good idea, as is having a CO2 fire extinguisher and a fuel pump shut off valve

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=211&p=1552#p1552

Edited by grumpyvette

Hey Jeff, I ran a one piece solid -8 aluminum from the pump (Mallory 140) to my return regulator (boost regulated Mallory), then another back to the tank. I pretty much followed the stock route through the trans tunnel using 1/2" metal conduit brackets with a piece of rubber line around to insulate from abrasion. I also use a driveshaft safety loop as a unrestrained broken shaft could shred the tunnel and fuel lines. Its hard to see from pic but I brought the inlet from the trans tunnel well under the battery tray, far away from headers, into the regulator. The return line is closer to the headers, but they are coated and felt it a non-issue for its use.

I always thought I could safely run a 100-150 NOS shot using this single pump system with my 383 as others around here seem to get by running single digits in heavier cars using the same pump. I make considerably less hp than sea level so more fudge factor.

Keep us posted.

zzz_010.jpg

I ran a 1/2" stainless hardline from just past the factory fuel pump location all the way to the fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay. In between the pump and the firewall, I ran the line inboard of the modified 'framerails'. It's all one piece too.

Here is the finished SS hardline finished, outside of the car.

fuelline2.jpg

Cheers

Ryan~

Yes, I tigged an -8an fitting on the rear section, and I flared the front and used a -8 nut and one of those T shaped ferrules, and went directly to the regulator. However, I feel that while I was at it I should have made up a return line in the chance that one cay I can afford to go to fuel injection... But hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it... :P

Cheers

ryan~