HybridZ

which fuel cell

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

I'm ready to buy a fuel cell for my 77 280z camel gt sbc 400. My question is do i have enough room to use a 20 gallon or should i just stick with a 15 gallon size? i plan on ordering my cell from summit. They have aluminum fuel cells. I want to know if i have enough room for the twenty or should i just use the fifteen gal. I plan on using 3" dual exaust out the rear. I dont care about cutting metal to make room for the cell. With the arizona camel gt kit on the car i don't worry about keeping it original.I will be installing the aluminum upright diff. hanger like terry oxindale i hope i spelled right. I got a close up picture from him and it shows how he did it. Anyway five extra gallons would give me a lot more driving range and would add weight to help hook up. But then again that adds weight to the car. But if a plan to auto x ,I just wont fill the tank but with just enough gas to race. So what do you guys think, which size is best or do i have enough room. Is there anyone else using a 20 gal. fuel cell? I guess if i wanted i could polish the cell beore installation after all it is aluminum . It may be a little rough on the seems but hay it would have to help a little bit. This is the first post in a long time for me I've been real busy. I hope some one answer's this post real soon because i'm ready to order the right size fuel cell right away. THANKS SHARKMAN

I'm running a custom 21 gallon ATL cell in my track car. If you're building a street/drag race car you don't need to spend the money for an ATL.

You generally need to stay within the following dimensions for a flush fit and to get the tank to fit in the rear of the 240Z, allowing room for a mounting frame.

Width (side to side) - 28"

Length (front to back) - 22"

Depth - 12"

I posted a somewhat related topic some time ago. One guy came back and says he has a 30 gallon fuel cell!!

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000699

If you remove the spare tire well and run dual exhaust on each corner, then my tape measure seconds what Johnc posted (although I was thinking more on the line of 10" deep to keep it completely above the stock rear valence). Summit lists a 20 gallon that is 24x20x10 (sum-290215-S).

Guest SHARKMAN

Thanks guys I think i will go with the twenty gallon fuel cell as long as i have the room. Thank you for the quick response to my question.