HybridZ

tools for rust repair?

GrayZee

What tools do you guys think are needed to fabricate replacement panels? Obviously a mig welder is number 1 on the list but I'm wondering what tools you would use from the must haves to the luxury tools, a example of a luxury tool would be a plasma cutter.

example:

mig welder

tap measure

aviation snips

air shear

body hammers

body dollies

metal brake

metal roller

plasma cutter

what am I missing?

You've forgotten the most important of all... angle grinder (grinding discs, grinding wheels, and flap wheels). I also consider a knotted wire wheel (the radial style - not the cup style) a 100% necessity when doing work on the metal of my Z.

In addition to the tools you've mentioned I use:

Saber saw

A few different squares

Flexible metal tape (for checking contouring and measuring on contours)

Cardboard, protractor, something to make circles, scissors

black and silver sharpies

A few rolls of blue tape

A 6" delta belt sander (by FAR my favorite tool in my shop for doing metal work)

Flat and round files

A good center punch

A full set of drill bits all the way to 1/2"

A full set of hole saws

A dremel with lots of attachments (they do things the bigger tools can't)

A good cordless drill and a wired/heavy duty drill

A very nice straight edge

A bubble angle finding guage

An angle setting tool

If I had the money I'd get:

- Drill Press

- Band Saw

- Plasma Cutter

- Metal Brake capable of 16 gage

- Bead roller

- Shrinker/stretcher

- English Wheel

- Tig welder

- A non-lead based leading kit

- Shot bag with different hammers

I'm sure I'm missing stuff... this is all I could think of..

They may sound basic, but several types of clamps, C clamps, vicegrip style clamps etc. Small and large. I have a couple of very small ones, and they are great when working on small parts, and I still need room to get in with the mig tips.

Don't forget some basic safety stuff too. fire extinguisher, Goggles, half mask respirator, good welding helmet, welding gloves, heavy jacket, disposable gloves and mechanics style gloves. Metal is sharp, and gets hot, and there are lots of filings/burrs etc when working/welding it,

Oh and a nice slab of heavy guage sheet steel to work on (if you don't have a metal bench)

And for luxuries.. beer fridge, dvd system, and comfortable chairs..uh we are still talking about garages right? hehe

S.

It really matters on how large the area is where it is and how you want to do it. I have done it with just a grinder, drill, snips and a propane torch. Using 50/50 solder and body lead this is all you need for small areas.

It really matters on how large the area is where it is and how you want to do it. I have done it with just a grinder, drill, snips and a propane torch. Using 50/50 solder and body lead this is all you need for small areas.

I hate you guys from the southwest, always showing off about how rust free your cars are. :D Ha ha.. Seriously though, around here unless the car is less than 10 years old rust repairs are RARELY that minor. :cry: Although from what I have heard down there restoring a car has alot more to do with replacing rubber/plastic parts that the heat/UV ray have destroyed.

Great replies guys, keep them coming!

I hate you guys from the southwest, always showing off about how rust free your cars are. :D Ha ha.. Seriously though, around here unless the car is less than 10 years old rust repairs are RARELY that minor. :cry: Although from what I have heard down there restoring a car has alot more to do with replacing rubber/plastic parts that the heat/UV ray have destroyed.

Great replies guys, keep them coming!

I did live in Colorado and Washington for quite a while with all of my Zs. I am old school and was doing these types of repairs before MIG welders were around. Soldering or brazing were how we used to do a lot of this stuff. Before these new high tech body fillers a good body man would do all of his repairs with lead after beating out the fenders. Evan Datsun used lead filler on our Zs. I found some in the area behind the side windows on both sides on the one I cut up. But I do like my mig welder!

These suggestions are more for general metal fab than solely panel replacement--I find that a copper backing plate is super handy for filling in holes with weld. Also the little magnetic weld holders can do alot of things that vice grips/c-clamps cannot. trwebb26-- you hit it dead on with the angle grinder comment, one of the most versatile and often used tools in my shop. I like to keep three handy at all times (the el-cheapo harbor freight ones do just fine) so I can have one loaded with a cutting wheel, one with a grinding wheel and the other with a wire wheel or flap sand disc. Saves so much time and aggravation switching back and forth and back again. A straight up old school bench grinder does the trick for alot of things too. The drill press is another one I wouldn't want to do without. In reference to drilling holes, going a little undersize and finishing with a ream avoids the oval hole effect those of us without mills are forever running into.