HybridZ

Aftermarket steering wheel

Guest potterma

Guest potterma

I want to put an aftermarket steering wheel in my ZX, but am uncertain of the dimensions that Momo and Sparco quote.

Is the "diameter" the wheel diameter rim-center to rim-center or is it outside edge to outside edge?

It seems like the "dish" measurement is from the flange to the rim center, but that's just a guess.

Anybody know for sure? Have one you can measure?

Thanks!

980mak, have you actually purchased a MOMO hub from ltbmotorsport.com? I emailed them and they said they could not help me.

I got mine from a place in Oakland CA. If anyone is interested I'll dig up the name of the place.

It was about $60 w/o horn button. It sounds like it is getting tougher to get the MOMO hub for the Z. Zparts has a used one for sale with the button for $75. Sounds a little steep for used but if you can't find it new ...

BTW all '70-'78 Z's use the same hub.

If I didn't already own a MOMO wheel I would have bought a Grant. Quality is close and the prices are much better. You pay for the name with MOMO.

DCP_4770b.jpg

Ran across this thread and thought I'd mention a rather nice looking used wood steering wheel For Sale at ZPARTS.COM at http://www.zparts.com/ads/arrivals/recent%20parts%20arrivals.html

It's half way down the page. A larger photo can be seen there.

Formerly installed in the famous "Purple Candy" Tomahawk Z of Vincent Hudson pictured below.

vhad_right_s.jpg

What's kind of nice about this older wheel is that it comes with the higher quality solid aluminum hub adapter which is very hard to find these days and costly if you find one one ebay.

btw, the wheel looks even more beautiful in person than it does in the photo. Owner has it consigned for sale and will consider offers if anyone here might be interested.

Sleek Z

When I bought my Grant wheel for my 76, the local Auto Zone had to special order the grant hub adapter--not a normal stock item. I am going to be using a GM column in my car, so my adapter just became useless to me--I'd be willing to sell it for cheap, make a reasonable offer and it can be yours.

(I'm keeping the wheel)

For that matter, make me a reasonable offer on a 280 steering column with Grant hub and wiper/light/turn signal switches on it and that can be yours smile.gif

Jim

Guest Anonymous

Dan,

I did not order it from them but I requested a quote a while ago (circa last year), they said $46 and gave me the part number. I asked if it would be usable on both my 240z and 280zx (didn't want to pull both wheels), reply was yes. I checked the site, now its $48, and the part # is 3503. MOMO I'm not so sure about, I used to like flashy "italian" designer stuff, but now I'm more partial to a nice grant wheel. Momo's now kind of remind me of the wheels provided in arcade games shifty.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest potterma

Well, I ordered the Momo hub adapter from LTB this past weekend. Haven't heard yet that there is a problem getting them. We'll see when (if :confused: ) it actually shows up.

By the way, according to what I've seen from LTB and other sites, the 3503 adapter is the correct part number from the 240Z through the 280ZX and also the 810's.

I have the Momo Competition and I really like it. It has a nice thick grip of perforated leather all the way around, and only two little nubs on the outer diameter at 5 and 8 oclock. Center is black. I have in on a street legal quick release hub mounted to the Momo adapter. It puts the wheel quite a ways back away from the turnsignal control, but I'm used to it and like the position now.

It's 13.8" and that's about 1" to 1.5" less in outer diameter than the stock wheel with a cheesy leather wrap. Even with 235 tires on the front and quick steering knuckles, it's not hard to turn at low speeds. I may go back to the stock steering knuckle to make the effort better. The smaller steering wheel, good 45 series tires (Mich Pilot MXX3s at 235/45-17) and quick knuckles make the car very sensitive to steering input. I'd say too sensitive.

Between the torque, the steering, and the all-business short throw shifter, it's a very visceral, attention sensitive driving experience.

The Momo wheel is really nice and super light, as if that matters. Great feel and looks decent too.

Guest Anonymous

What Momo wheels are you all using?

I like the silver jets, and olympics, some of them are way overpriced and a bit too squishy to grapple when you get sideways around a corner :eek::D . Interior shots w/ them mounted would be cool!

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest potterma

I ordered the Sparco Racer 2. 13" diameter, blue suede. I just tracked the shipment, and it got delivered today, so I'll pick it up on the way home from work.

Now if I can get a hub for it...

143.jpg

Guest potterma

I just spoke with Louis at LTB Motorsports.

My Momo hub arrived from Momo today. They are shipping it out today. It will be "3 - 5 business days" before I get it, but the good news is, it looks like the 3503 hub adapter is still available rockon.gif