HybridZ

V8 Queries...

HI,

I have only recently became interested in a V8 swap into my 260z. I have considered just about every other engine swap out there, weighed up the cons and pros, but I have never felt quite comfortable with the thought of any of them (in terms of my goals and cost).

First of all, I live in Australia, so chevy V8 arent as plentiful as they are for you american guys. Despite that though, I am still interested in the JTR swap.

First of all. Is it too much bother ti try making the kit components myself? or should I just get them shipped to me from JTR in the US?

Also, what is the hadling of a JTR V8 really like? And if it is good, what sort of suspension mods do you need to get it that way. I am planning on spending a bit over $3000 US on the engine conversion (about $5-$6000 AUD). I can (well my dad can) do just most things needed to be done with a welder, so I guess if mod/fabrication comes up than that should not be too big of a drama (handy having a dad who welds for a living). Is the conversion possible with this sort of money.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

kal

Guest John Adkins

Aren't Holdens and Fords pretty common over there? I would think these might be good V8 sources in Australia.... Monaros, Falcons, etc...

The new holdens come with LS1's and t56's the same as what comes in our camaro's If you look arround here there is a LS1 swap that has been done. I have even heard a rumor that the motors, trans and accesory drives all come off the same assembly line, the Holden stuff is just crated and shiped to Austrailia...Any V8 is a great swap just look at the prices in wrecking yards and see what they are willing to do for you.....Good luck

Ditto to what Mike C just said: get the JTR book and use its diagrams to have the parts made locally. One member here was able to fabricate the parts for under $30US!!!

I believe many Holdens have Chevrolet drivetrains, but whatever engine you use, make sure it is based on a small block Chevrolet V8.

There is no kit to speak of, but a Rover V8 might be a better swap due to parts and engine availability. However, keep in mind that the Chevy is usually a whopping 5.7 liters or more and the Rover is quite a bit smaller. Torque anyone? Good luck.

Davy

Davy, your right on the under $30.00 US for my brackets, but that didn't include all the BEER!

Seriously the JTR manual was very helpful and the brackets took very little time to fab. I got the material from the local scrap yard which also held the cost down.

Later, Larry

yeah the swap should be just as easy for you as us considering you guyz get the holdensand commodores-thems gots v8s,or asdavy said the

rover swap, turbocharged!!!! that would be awesome, get a low compression rover 8 and boost that puppy,or go carbed turbo, even easier!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, if they were more available here, I'd have no problem putting in one of those 4.2 (?) 4.6 or 5.0 litre Rovers in the Z at all. Light, and make good power, and transmissions are available in either Rover or a different bellhousing using a Supra tranny from a Toyota. Kind of a case of 'when in rome' situation or to be a little more modern, Go with what ya can get, you guys have a great bunch of 6 and 4cyl engines that are great performers as well. (a 4 cyl? Sure, turbo'ed DOHC 4 cosworth in a light Z? you betchya!).

Regards,

Lone

icon_smile.gif

Lone