HybridZ

Clutch play increases and disengagemnt decreases as car warms

dave_hl

I was under the car a few days (1980 280zx) ago and cleaning an oil leak. For who knows what reason i pushed the piston for the clutch slave cylinder in. Not thinking it would actaully push in i went "oops" and pulled it back out. There is now more play in the clutch then there used to be and i think its easier to push the clutch in. It seemed to disengage fine and drive ok but over the course of a 30 minute drive stopping and starting the clutch would disengage less and less each time i pushed the pedal in until it was almost impossible to get it into first (even when reveing quickly in neutral first).

It's got me boggled, i can't think why it would act differently after the cars warm, have i screwed the slave cylinder perhaps?

help appreciated.

cheers.

dave.

Sounds like you could have a bad master cylinder or slave. I'm not sure why it's happening only when it's warm, but it *could* be related to heating up the cylinder enough that it loses it's seal. I'd replace both the master and slave (pretty cheap) and I bet your problem will disappear.

yeah i'd say replacing both of those would most probably fix it but im hoping its not that major. Yeah thats not a bad theory that the heat could cause loss of seal... i was also thinking the fluid may thin having some sort of effect. perhaps when i pushed in the slave/operating cylinder i damaged a seal.

anyone else have any thoughts/things i could try before i go replacing both slave and master cylinders?

I was under the car a few days (1980 280zx) ago and cleaning an oil leak. For who knows what reason i pushed the piston for the clutch slave cylinder in. Not thinking it would actaully push in i went "oops" and pulled it back out. There is now more play in the clutch then there used to be and i think its easier to push the clutch in. It seemed to disengage fine and drive ok but over the course of a 30 minute drive stopping and starting the clutch would disengage less and less each time i pushed the pedal in until it was almost impossible to get it into first (even when reveing quickly in neutral first).

It's got me boggled, i can't think why it would act differently after the cars warm, have i screwed the slave cylinder perhaps?

help appreciated.

Mine acted just like that when I had a bad slave cylinder. Most people recommend replacing the master and slave at the same time. Pull the boot on both, and if either is leaking fluid, replace them.