HybridZ

Capped Engine Compartment Frame Rails - Pics

Zzeal

That looks amazingly solid. With the cage and the boxed in rails, you have to be at least 75% more rigid than stock. I tried to find the "Endura" liquids but all I get is a wax based grease, that probably won't spray too well. I am looking for something to prep some of the seams and possibly inside the rails of my new 240Z with.

That looks amazingly solid. With the cage and the boxed in rails, you have to be at least 75% more rigid than stock. I tried to find the "Endura" liquids but all I get is a wax based grease, that probably won't spray too well. I am looking for something to prep some of the seams and possibly inside the rails of my new 240Z with.

Look up Castle Endura C1630

How did I know that there would be a plethora of emails looking for contact info for these rails.

They look great but I too have some reservations with boxing in the old rails. Something just doesnt seem right....but then Im not very knowledgable at this kind of stuff.......

Presumably NISSAN started with layers of good metal that was "rust free". I trust they didnt do it to hide old weakened rails.

I view these as a great replacement for the originals altogether.....but to box in old ...weakened..rusty...etc ...isnt right. Sounds like a quick band-aid.

I bet some will just slap them over the old rusty rails. AND I bet you would be pissed if you bought a Z for too much that was "fixed" in the way I describe....with rusty rail under the caps.

"Layers of sheet metal", is nothing new to an S30. Nissan did it all over the place. Why can't we?

Thanks, Zzeal.

• 1 month later...

Curses to the nay sayers... If your shop could make a duplicate set of the rails forward of the fire wall I would pay you for your trouble. I,ve been looking at my engine bay rails for 4 months and thinking the same thing, but with my limited fabrication ability well you know what thought did...You are my hero. please get back to me

• 4 weeks later...
Presumably NISSAN started with layers of good metal that was "rust free". I trust they didnt do it to hide old weakened rails.

I view these as a great replacement for the originals altogether.....but to box in old ...weakened..rusty...etc ...isnt right. Sounds like a quick band-aid.

I bet some will just slap them over the old rusty rails. AND I bet you would be pissed if you bought a Z for too much that was "fixed" in the way I describe....with rusty rail under the caps.

I'm on the same soap box for this one, just putting a cap over your old frame rails to "fix" the rusty ones is just asking for trouble down the road. It's one thing to replace the entire frame rail, but just capping it off doesnt seem like a good solution.

The purpose is to add strength and stiffness to the frame rails not as an alternative to replacing junk rails. A sbc conversions added torque will increase the scissors effect on lighter stock rails which are not designed for the added stresses. I agree, capping weak rusted rails is is unsat to replacement. Your talking apples and oranges.