HybridZ

Touch Pad Entry

VRJoe

I love the Touch Pad entry I have on my Merc. Mountaineer (Got use to them on my previous Explorers). I like being able to toss the keys under the seat, lock the doors and wander off. Since I'm planning to shave the doors as part of the mods I'm making the idea of having a touch pad someplace has really been bugging me. I ran out to the U-Pull a few weeks ago and pulled the touch pad setup from a Merc., the problem was finding a good wiring diagram to figure it all out. I stopped in at a local Ford/Merc. dealer and explained what I was trying to do to the counter guy. He made copies of the service manual for me that covered the Keyless Entry Module. Well, I wired it up this week on the bench to test it out :D:D It's going to work great. It really is pretty simple once you look at the diagram. I now have the urge to put it on every car we own !!!! I can get the Ford/Merc. dealer to get a key fob for the unit I have and bingo keyless entry with the touch pad, the next question is where to locate the pad bonk.gif

Just a crazy idea I thought some folks might like.

- VRJoe

You can find a number of different keyless entry systems, but the only thing I've seen that's close to the touch pad is the autoloc tap entry system. The great part about about the touch pad is that you can lock your keys in the car and not worry. Add keyless to it and you've got a killer system.

-VRJoe

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I did. I went to the U-Pull-it yard and found a car with what looked like a good touch pad . I pulled the touch pad from the door and disconnected it for the harness. I went to the trunk and pulled the keyless entry unit. The entry code is stuck on the side of the unit. I then went to a dealer and got them to copy the wiring diagram for me. If I'd though a little harder I would have checked with the U-pull-it guy and tried to find a car that he had the keyfob for bonk.gif , but once you have the entry code you can order a neww keyfob from the dealer or you can use another keyless entry system and just wire this one in to it so you can use the touch pad.

The touch pad simply sends the same signals as the keyfob, you just have to enter the entry code first. Once you see the wiring diagram it makes sense, but it's hard to explain without it. I wired it on the bench as a test and used 12V LEDs to signal LOCK and UNLOCKED. It worked as expected. I'm probably going to wire this in to a good alarm type system, it'll be a while though, still lots of engine and body work to do.

Hope that helps,

VRJoe