HybridZ

Got me another Z, and FINALLY a 240! (56k take a break)

After years of being into Z cars, having all 280Zs, ZXs, and Z31 300ZXs, I finally get one of the elusive 240Zs. Been wanting a 240 for probably 10 years now, and finally got one. Needs a little work, which most of which was supposed to have been done by the previous owner, but when I confronted him about it, suddenly it was his "plan" to have certain things done, or order parts to isntall once he got it out of the body shop, etc. Overall it was still a fair trade and I'm not too upset about it. It supposedly has a rebuilt 2.4, probably just a stock rebuild, nothing hotrodded. It has an E31 head, supposed to have a cam in it too. Has the dual round top 4 screw SUs and also supposedly has an LSD, guess I'll find that out when I have the back end jacked up some time down the road. The motor runs and sounds pretty good, but runs rich as hell. He said the SUs need to be rebuilt, but that's ok, I have a set of rebuilt triple Webers on the way, looking for a header next.

Anyways, the body has some rust. The floor pans need to be replaced (one thing he said he had done) because the p/o before him just put flat sheet metal crudely bent to fit the contours of the underside and tacked in place, then glassed over the top on the interior. Most of the rust/holes on the interior are in spots that the new floor pans from MSA will replace. Only thing from there on the interior is to patch a small hole in the spare tire well, then cut out another small patch or two of rust that's not ate through, but might as well get in the spare tire area also. Then the battery tray needs work, I'll probably just cut that part out of a good rust free Z if I can't match up some sheet metal nicely to the cars contours and shape. Other than that, just a bit of sanding, some prime, and paint as far as the body is concerned.

On to the pics:

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

DSC01407.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

I'm actually getting a good deal on the under-tray area in the battery compartment. Having a guy cut me the metal I need out of a good Z so I can then cut mine out and fit it, trim what I don't need, and weld it in place. That'd fix that problem. The floor pan replacement kit will fix most of the other rust on the inside like I mentioned, as it's pretty much all pan related. Then in the spare tire area, a couple small pieces of sheet metal patches put in place will fix that up. As far as the trim, emblems, bumpers, all that kinda stuff that's missing, I have all that stuff, it's just not on the car right now.

I'm actually getting a good deal on the under-tray area in the battery compartment. Having a guy cut me the metal I need out of a good Z so I can then cut mine out and fit it, trim what I don't need, and weld it in place. That'd fix that problem. The floor pan replacement kit will fix most of the other rust on the inside like I mentioned, as it's pretty much all pan related. Then in the spare tire area, a couple small pieces of sheet metal patches put in place will fix that up. As far as the trim, emblems, bumpers, all that kinda stuff that's missing, I have all that stuff, it's just not on the car right now.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad to help out. Nice project...keep us posted. :)