HybridZ

Need help with this turbo kit

swe_crazy

No offense, dude, but this is NOT your setup, and 'tuning' this is a BEAR! It's nothing as simple as on a Holley when you simply change jets. This setup will require micrometers, hand filing on parts, and HOURS of runs to get a fuel curve somewhat proper.

As for drawthroughs being hard on the compressor side due to impingement, quit repeating articles! The Rayjay is a WET TURBO, it was DESIGNED as a drawthrough setup, as almost EVERY system at the time was, they will work about 75,000 miles if you are lucky, and at that time you will be out of bearing and need a bearing replacement. I have put probably three bearing kits in my Rajay over the years, and the wheel is still in balance and looks perfect. And that is after probably 50,000 miles of not only having fuel impinging on the impeller, but large water and water/methanol being sprayed directly into the turbo inlet via a Spearco Water Injection kit. Repeating myths and legends doesn't help anybody, please refrain from it. This system is so far afield from what your setup is, outside of the fact that they both employ turbochargers, so as to be unrelated. Experience in one really has nothing to do with the other, they are that different an animal!

The ONLY thing that makes it passable is the thing he's asking about, which is a BOOST RESTRICTION DEVICE (I want to call it an Impco Boost Controller, but I forget the exact name they used back then...) This is what they used in the dark days before watesgates in addition to inlet and exhaust restriction. The Rajay will make 17-22 psi if the exhaust is leaking or low restriction (the muffler plays a part on this system), and the device in question will limit the boost available to the manifold by moving the internal shuttle to restrict flow. If you're muffler or headpipe should rust and fall off, this device will have you going SLAM SLAM SLAM on a compressor surge all the way up to redline once you get into the top of second, or around 3500rpms in third gear under WOT. This is why Rajay replacement center cartridges were doing such brisk business.

Without this device, which is the ONLY thing that makes running that small SU workable on this engine. It limits the boost, and thereby the fuel requirements. If this was the original Crown Style kit, you would play hell with a too small main jet and have to blunt-cut the needle in the SU to get enough fuel flow into the engine---and even then you will run short aroudn 15psi, and need anti-detonant to keep the engine together as the boost climbs (unrestricted, remember no wastegate on those AT ALL!) to around 22psi.

I can't tell if you have a Z SU, or one from a Jag (2" or larger). The Jag's have a 1.25" main jet which makes fuel delivery less of a problem, but if it's the 0.100" jet from the stock Z SU, you will have issues getting enough fuel through it, even with a variable delivery fuel system that will raise the fuel in the float bowl.

My suggestion would be to keep your Dellortos, rework the turbo adapter to put the Rayjay down lower, and get a pressure plenum for them instead. The drivability (especially cold) will be far better. You will find the response of the system will e LOADS better if you rework the turbo adapter to incorporate a wastegate (easily available from E-Bay these days) and run a proper wastegate to limit the RayJay's terminal boost, and then remove that damnable restrictor and put a Crown-Style adapater, or simply make an adapter to blow into where the restrictor formerly was.

The RayJay is oversized for the engine, and the boost response is not all that great. It is not uncommon even on WOT that the engine won't make any boost at all in first gear, and you might get some at the top of second gear. By third you will start getting decent boost, and in fourth I will make boost at highway speeds fairly easily. The compressor map on this turbo is pretty horrendous, and ultimately it's really only designed to support between 180 and 200 HP, but then it's at pretty high flows. The technology that had those wheels made was based on stuff done in the 1960's, and there are really much better alternatives.

If you are putting together a 'period correct' accessory car, something with all the goodies from some time period like it was frozen in time...this is something to install. It's a nice curio, but there are FAR better ways to accomplish turbocharging a car these days. There is a reason this system was removed from whatever it was installed...

Man, I haven't seen one of those damnable boost-restrictor things for 25+ years! It was a horrendous and terrible way to accomplish the goal of boost control. Seriously, unless you are willing to spend some money to get some proper technology to make that system work properly, I'd put it on a shelf and say 'hey look at this cool stuff I got!' That's where most of my Crown and Rajay Stuff is these days. (Shudder) I lived through that stuff when it was NEW, I can't imagine what it will be like trying to get it all working again now that it's got thousands of miles of roadwear on it!

Very informative.Thanks Tony! :)

No offense, dude, but this is NOT your setup, and 'tuning' this is a BEAR! It's nothing as simple as on a Holley when you simply change jets. This setup will require micrometers, hand filing on parts, and HOURS of runs to get a fuel curve somewhat proper.

As for drawthroughs being hard on the compressor side due to impingement, quit repeating articles! The Rayjay is a WET TURBO, it was DESIGNED as a drawthrough setup, as almost EVERY system at the time was, they will work about 75,000 miles if you are lucky, and at that time you will be out of bearing and need a bearing replacement. I have put probably three bearing kits in my Rajay over the years, and the wheel is still in balance and looks perfect. And that is after probably 50,000 miles of not only having fuel impinging on the impeller, but large water and water/methanol being sprayed directly into the turbo inlet via a Spearco Water Injection kit. Repeating myths and legends doesn't help anybody, please refrain from it. This system is so far afield from what your setup is, outside of the fact that they both employ turbochargers, so as to be unrelated. Experience in one really has nothing to do with the other, they are that different an animal!

The ONLY thing that makes it passable is the thing he's asking about, which is a BOOST RESTRICTION DEVICE (I want to call it an Impco Boost Controller, but I forget the exact name they used back then...) This is what they used in the dark days before watesgates in addition to inlet and exhaust restriction. The Rajay will make 17-22 psi if the exhaust is leaking or low restriction (the muffler plays a part on this system), and the device in question will limit the boost available to the manifold by moving the internal shuttle to restrict flow. If you're muffler or headpipe should rust and fall off, this device will have you going SLAM SLAM SLAM on a compressor surge all the way up to redline once you get into the top of second, or around 3500rpms in third gear under WOT. This is why Rajay replacement center cartridges were doing such brisk business.

Without this device, which is the ONLY thing that makes running that small SU workable on this engine. It limits the boost, and thereby the fuel requirements. If this was the original Crown Style kit, you would play hell with a too small main jet and have to blunt-cut the needle in the SU to get enough fuel flow into the engine---and even then you will run short aroudn 15psi, and need anti-detonant to keep the engine together as the boost climbs (unrestricted, remember no wastegate on those AT ALL!) to around 22psi.

I can't tell if you have a Z SU, or one from a Jag (2" or larger). The Jag's have a 1.25" main jet which makes fuel delivery less of a problem, but if it's the 0.100" jet from the stock Z SU, you will have issues getting enough fuel through it, even with a variable delivery fuel system that will raise the fuel in the float bowl.

My suggestion would be to keep your Dellortos, rework the turbo adapter to put the Rayjay down lower, and get a pressure plenum for them instead. The drivability (especially cold) will be far better. You will find the response of the system will e LOADS better if you rework the turbo adapter to incorporate a wastegate (easily available from E-Bay these days) and run a proper wastegate to limit the RayJay's terminal boost, and then remove that damnable restrictor and put a Crown-Style adapater, or simply make an adapter to blow into where the restrictor formerly was.

The RayJay is oversized for the engine, and the boost response is not all that great. It is not uncommon even on WOT that the engine won't make any boost at all in first gear, and you might get some at the top of second gear. By third you will start getting decent boost, and in fourth I will make boost at highway speeds fairly easily. The compressor map on this turbo is pretty horrendous, and ultimately it's really only designed to support between 180 and 200 HP, but then it's at pretty high flows. The technology that had those wheels made was based on stuff done in the 1960's, and there are really much better alternatives.

If you are putting together a 'period correct' accessory car, something with all the goodies from some time period like it was frozen in time...this is something to install. It's a nice curio, but there are FAR better ways to accomplish turbocharging a car these days. There is a reason this system was removed from whatever it was installed...

Man, I haven't seen one of those damnable boost-restrictor things for 25+ years! It was a horrendous and terrible way to accomplish the goal of boost control. Seriously, unless you are willing to spend some money to get some proper technology to make that system work properly, I'd put it on a shelf and say 'hey look at this cool stuff I got!' That's where most of my Crown and Rajay Stuff is these days. (Shudder) I lived through that stuff when it was NEW, I can't imagine what it will be like trying to get it all working again now that it's got thousands of miles of roadwear on it!

I`ts on a shelf now :mrgreen:. Looking after a better turbo setup.

WOW thats almost my current setup. I don't have an innercooler insstalled yet. I would like to know about your friends carb :wink:

100_2848.jpg

Only if you post more pics of your engine:twisted:. The onely thing I know about the carb is that it was rebuild in USA to suit his engine. Damn hard to type in English sorry:). Have more pics of the car if you guys/girls want to see it?:burnout:

Thats the current picture of my engine bay. I have found a company thats making a air/water innercooler for me. Its 11.5 inches long, 9.5 inches tall, and 3.5 inches thick. the inlet side will face the turbo with a 2.5 inch input. The outlet will face up at the hood. Thats 2.5 inch also. From the output will be 2.5 inch to 3 inch 90 degree silicone adaptor.