HybridZ

42-volt electrical system

RacerX

Actually, they've been talking about it for some time now...I've even heard of 96v prototypes out there...

Basically, for every 12v, you can cut the wiresize in half...

Imagine having 12-16 guage starter wires smile.gif

In a new car there can be over 200 miles of wiring...all that wiring can add up to alot of extra weight and the size of the wiring harnesses can detract from useable space for the passengers and other components...

I'm personally looking very forward to it...

PS...although, not camless, there are already valveless heads out there...they're pretty cool actually...

I have no idea how to get a hold of the company that builds the heads, though...A few years ago they were in the prototype stage, but were functioning very well...

PS...I passed my audition, but had to turn the position down due to the time required...

i remember reading about some valveless heads, it was as if the cam had holes in it, and the cam was the valve. I duno its hard to explain. But i remember they made 500hp from an otherwise stock ford crownvic engine, it also revved to 12k i think.

Zero,

Yep. Those would be the heads I'm talking about. When I attened AAI (Arizona Automotive Institute) we watched a video about them...I was pretty impressed and still can't figure out why no automotive manufacturer went with that setup.

It would be quieter, more efficient, cheaper!!!!, and have less problems.

I though the Renault had pneumatic valves

The "valveless" engines you are referring to are called "rotary valve" engines. They have what looks like a solid cam (cylinder) with slots through it to act as valves. Problem is that it doesn't let the engine breath as good as it could.

The good thing is that your engine could turn 20,000 RPM ? :eek:

How about a 10,000 ROM lawnmower?

I don't think any of the F1 engines use valve springs any more. I remember the Renault (sp?) in the early-mid 90's didn't have them and there was talk about them and now there is none, talk that is. There is talk of camless diesel engines because of the slow rpm but the control of the valves is not good enough for the type of RPM gas engines run.

This what I think I know, but the older I get the more I find I don't know. :confused:

I can try to find out in the next couple of days.

Don

Guest mongrel

Renault or Peugeot (don´t remember wich) got tired of valvespring faliure in the late 80´s and simply developed the pneumatic valvetrain all teems have been using throughout the 90´s. Pneumatic "valvesprings" are much more stable att high enginespeeds than conventional valvesprings, but they are very costly to operate becouse of the maintenance involved. As if would cost would be an issue in F1!

Chrysler is running some prototype engines now that have solenoid controlled valves. Allows for infinite combinations in lift and duration. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the prototype Cadillac V-12 that's supposed to have 750 HP at 9,000 RPM and 450 lb-ft of torque, 80% at 1,500 RPM, doesn't have them too. Put that in your Z and smoke it!!