HybridZ

SBC Block Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am presently the owner of a cruddy 2 bolt 350 block (the same one seen on the webpage). I talked to the local race engine machinist and he said the 2 bolt block is just fine to about 600hp if ARP main studs are used. I have no reason not to trust him on this one but do question his advice nonetheless. Will I be fine with the studs and 2 bolts or shoudl I break down and have splayed caps put in (~$400.00)???????

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Guest Locutus

I was told basically the same thing. Basically the 4 bolt was to prevent the crank from flexing under really heavy torque, like when a truck is pulling a very heavy load, or when an engine is being sprayed really heavy off the line. I think you should be fine from what people have been telling me about the 2 vs 4 bolt mains

I was told the same thing, and would have went with a 2 bolt block, but the builder had a 4 bolt prepped and didn't charge me extra for it... It was a Bowtie Unit ordered by someone else and never picked up...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Hey SpencZ - Can't believe what you have done to that car - ya got guts man! Anyway, just thought I would pass on a crazy idea. Speedway (402) 474-4411 is having a sale on Cadillac Northstar V8's. DOHC 32 valve 4.6 litre, 300HP and 400 lb/ft of torque for $2,500 brand new in a crate.

hey save your $$$ northstars suck

for that kind of $$ you can have

a 450 hp 383 if you build it right....

and we build 400-500 hp 350's on 2-bolt

all the time for circle track and they work fine.....

we roast valves way before the bottom end gives up...

we have never seen a 2-bolt main give up

even at 8000 rpm......

but we have seen rods/pistons crater

just a note on this.........

scarp

Guest Anonymous

MY MY,, you have a very high opinion of your opinion. We try not to tell our fellow "z"ers that their ideas "SUCK". WHAT WORKS FOR YOU IS FINE!!, But lets let everybody else have an idea and opinions without sucking. Chill a bit man! Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

OK guys... Lets all take a deep breath....This isn't Zcar.com! Lets all act like adults.

There is no such thing as a bad idea, even in failure... Learning is the key.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk